TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front fascia, lower valence removal - Anyone tried it? Or front bumper cover?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Gizmotoy, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I was just wondering if anyone's had to remove the front fascia lower valence (black front spoiler/splash guard at the bottom of the front bumper cover)? I unfortunately damaged mine (already) while parking and was thinking about replacing it. The part is only $260, but labor's about $450 (2.5hrs) according to Tesla. Normally I wouldn't think twice about pulling off the bumper to replace it myself, but that labor number is unexpectedly high and has me worried there's a trick in here somewhere.

Looks like maybe a couple clips and 6 screws from this picture, but hard to tell. Has anyone had their front bumper off?

Attached Files:

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I've done it and about 2 hours is right. But $200 per hour for labor!! I thought about $90 was the going rate. Thats more than I pay for airplane maintenance with a LOT more responsibility!!

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Lloyd, thanks, that's what I was looking for. Seemed like a lot of time, but I haven't started poking around down there yet to know one way or the other. Anything to screw up in there, or just time-consuming?

As for cost, I rounded up by $10 to get to a round number, but yeah, $175/hr for labor. I think nationally the average labor rate is something like $80/hr, so you're just about right on. Tesla is on the very high end, unfortunately.

4. Jason

Jason Member

Just get any body shop (you trust) to do it. This isn't the rocket science part of the car :)

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

There is an electrical connection to the front louvers, that you need to be careful with not to stretch the wiring, but the rest is pushpins and fasteners. I posted a quick description of removal on the radar detector installation thread.