Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Fender Camera Gap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see anything posted about this in the search tool, but does anyone else have a gap on the top edge of the camera that is mounted on each side of the car in the front fender? I can see the metal clip and it appears to be that they aren't completed seated into the body panel, but when I try to push on them, they are quite firm and don't seem like they will budge without significant pressure and I don't want to dent my brand new car.

Photos:
IMG_6460.JPG
IMG_6466.JPG

My front fender cameras had a gap on both sides. Didn’t even notice until the PPF shop pointed it out. The driver side you could see both clips. The passenger side was similar to your photos. The shop removed them for PPF and was able to reseat them so the gap wasn’t so pronounced. It’s not completely flush, but like the rear in your photos with a slight stand-off.

My front fender cameras had a gap on both sides. Didn’t even notice until the PPF shop pointed it out. The driver side you could see both clips. The passenger side was similar to your photos. The shop removed them for PPF and was able to reseat them so the gap wasn’t so pronounced. It’s not completely flush, but like the rear in your photos with a slight stand-off.
Thanks for the heads up. It seemed like it might not be completely correct, but figured I would run it by a larger group of owners before I flag it for a service visit. I have some other things that need to be fixed that the SC had to order so I hopefully I can just lump them together. I am not in a big rush to resolve it immediately.

Here are some photos of mine. I think I can just barely make out a hint of the clip on the passenger side looking up from the bottom. Otherwise, I can't really see them. Yours appear to be pushed out a bit.

Driver's Top
CAM_000.jpeg

Driver's Bottom
CAM_001 (1).jpeg

Passenger Top
CAM_002.jpeg

Passenger Bottom
CAM_003.jpeg

Here's some videos on how to remove the lights if you wish to check them out and pop them back in.

I've removed mine a couple of times. Easy to snap back in. Be careful you don't chip paint or break the little hooks/clips that hold them snug.

Don't forget this is a secondary function for these cameras. They were not designed for our use. The purpose was for AP/FSD. Its just a bonus (so to speak) that they were enabled so they help with TeslaCam/Sentry and us to see/use. So, they could be within spec for the primary mission and not be perfect for secondary.

Anyone got this fixed? Would water/rain get in through the gap and break the camera?

My right fender camera was not working for a while until the mobile service tech came and replaced it today. When he took the defective camera out, a bunch of water leaked out. I did have ppf installed so maybe the ppf installer somehow cracked a hole in the inside of the camera? Not really sure what happened just all speculations. Could also be factory issue with the body work.

The mobile service tech installed the new camera but he was unable to get it flushed in and the gap is still there. Mobile tech said the camera itself should be water proof and so nothing should happen even if water get in through the gap. I was a bit unsure and I told him I was still worried about water damage from water getting in through the gap. He suggested to me to make an in service center appointment, which he said should be able to fix the gap issue.