Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front fore link replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello anyone ever replace their own front fore links? My LH just snapped and was looking to do it myself but cant seems to find any instruction online! Also I was able to find the part on rockauto but not sure if they will work! Anyone ever buy a set of fore links through them ? Any suggestions where I can get them other than rockauto? TIA

-Art

haven't done that one, but did just do the rear upper control arm and it was trivial. I ended up doing it in the parking lot of the Tesla service center in about 30 minutes.

they told me it was a "wear item" and even though it's under warranty and broke in half, it would still be $650 and two months to "diagnose" and fix it.

got the part, overnighted, for $100 and fixed it the next day.

Reactions: Slowboogie
haven't done that one, but did just do the rear upper control arm and it was trivial. I ended up doing it in the parking lot of the Tesla service center in about 30 minutes.

they told me it was a "wear item" and even though it's under warranty and broke in half, it would still be $650 and two months to "diagnose" and fix it.

got the part, overnighted, for $100 and fixed it the next day.
That’s bull crap! Under warranty and still need to pay! I ended up buying the fore link at Tesla ($220 ) and doing it myself! Took me an hour not bad I’d say! Thanks for the reply starting to hate these cars !!!

Reactions: AaronE
I just did mine myself in the driveway. If you have some basic tools, it's pretty easy really. I used a 4" electric angle grinder to cut the subframe bolts (and then install them the opposite direction, manual says to do this OR drop the main HV battery). Definitely needs an alignment after. ALL in all not a bad job. NOTE, install and torque nuts to ride height and not with it all disassembled and sloppy. I did that initially and had to loosen the nuts, use a bottle jack to raise the hub, and then torque). Make sure the SC give you all the new hard ware. I was missing one new nut and had to go back to get it.

How did you get the inner bolt out through the rubber bushing? I still have the socket on the other end on the bolt
mine just spins (under tension) and moves the allignment in/ out I saw nowhere anything would interfere with the battery! or subframe bolts ..
what manual were you referring to?
online copy?
thanks!

Attachments

• 20221223_162718.jpg
    20221223_162718.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
How did you get the inner bolt out through the rubber bushing? I still have the socket on the other end on the bolt
mine just spins (under tension) and moves the allignment in/ out I saw nowhere anything would interfere with the battery! or subframe bolts ..
what manual were you referring to?
online copy?
thanks!
It's not supposed to spin as it's keyed in the washer. Hit it with a hammer to slide it out and you'll see what I mean, you may need a new bolt and washer now.