Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front half shaft replacement instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what the best height is for a neutral half-shaft angle? Is it "low" or something lower?

I know there's a lot of recommendations to use lowering links and drop it about an inch, but I don't know if this is for the shafts or just a personal preference.
Another question would be how low can you go and still be able to get a proper alignment?

I had this $183 charge added 'at the last minute' the day before my appt.

When I set up the appt, I told them I knew what it was as I had it on my previous X and I had the details.
SB-21-39-001 R1
2021-09-21 Toolbox article 6013200 for Customer Pay billing instructions

MpvXvYO.jpg

It was zero/$0 dollars before.

jclPFsN.jpg

Smells like their BS "diagnostic" fee. ALWAYS click on that "cost estimate" PDF link and save a screenshot with the real data. THAT is what they will use, the app is just a "guide" and "nothing they say in the chat is legally binding" according to one service center liar when they were screwing me on a transaction. So ALWAYS take the PDF and save it every time they change something.

Then push back on them b/c they don't need to "diagnose" this. It is done via a test drive (it's in the procedure) and the tech will know within 2 minutes (probably faster) of leaving the parking lot if it is what you said it is.

They are ALWAYS all about trying to slip in these extra charges. I think the droids hope that Lord Elon will appear and pat them on the head if they screw the customer just a little bit harder than the service droid next to them. Its too common of an experience to just be isolated incompetence.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
There is one USA based manufacturer of CV axles / half shafts (same thing) They warranty their product for 1 year and they are completely rebuildable. I am pretty sure they have a core return program. They make parts for drag racers, I am positive there is nothing that a Tesla can dole out in warp speed that they cant handle. They are not cheap, 650.0 an axle, but they will never let you down.

Smells like their BS "diagnostic" fee. ALWAYS click on that "cost estimate" PDF link and save a screenshot with the real data. THAT is what they will use, the app is just a "guide" and "nothing they say in the chat is legally binding" according to one service center liar when they were screwing me on a transaction. So ALWAYS take the PDF and save it every time they change something.

Then push back on them b/c they don't need to "diagnose" this. It is done via a test drive (it's in the procedure) and the tech will know within 2 minutes (probably faster) of leaving the parking lot if it is what you said it is.

They are ALWAYS all about trying to slip in these extra charges. I think the droids hope that Lord Elon will appear and pat them on the head if they screw the customer just a little bit harder than the service droid next to them. Its too common of an experience to just be isolated incompetence.
After a little back and forth they said they could do just the half shaft without the diagnostic fee but if it didn't solve the problem it would need another appointment.
Similarly, I had my squeaking upper control arms (bushing) replaced last year and they dropped the diagnostics fee. Heck, you could just turn the steering wheel and hear the squeak. Two very well-known problems.

TBH, my kid had this happen at GM with their error message "Shift to Park" when it was in park. 1000s had this issue and they still charged my kid a diagnostic fee. We had the same issue with our Gen 2 version of that vehicle and they charged me full price ($500) but then after many complaints it was re-document in the GM system to be a warranty item and they cut me a check.

Reactions: geordi
Just had the half shafts replaced in our 2020 Model X at 60k miles. They were replaced in 2021 with 25k miles before.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with this car and we'll just replace it with a Model Y for now. My current Model Y has none of the problems of the X and is preferred by everyone in our family. I don't care to own a vehicle that has what are effectively consumable axles and aggressive tire wear to compensate for the suspension design issues. Between our two Model Xs, we've replaced the half shafts 5 times.

Total cost just over $2k for this last service.

Just had the half shafts replaced in our 2020 Model X at 60k miles. They were replaced in 2021 with 25k miles before.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with this car and we'll just replace it with a Model Y for now. My current Model Y has none of the problems of the X and is preferred by everyone in our family. I don't care to own a vehicle that has what are effectively consumable axles and aggressive tire wear to compensate for the suspension design issues. Between our two Model Xs, we've replaced the half shafts 5 times.

Total cost just over $2k for this last service.
It’s such an obvious issue that could have only been fixed at time of engineering.

At some point an Intuative camber and lowerkit is cheaper than axels every 30-40k miles.

Reactions: ohmman
If the axles are being damaged that rapidly, I'd be questioning why they aren't replaced under warranty AND why you aren't being charged the proper TSB rate of $350.

This is NOT your problem to solve and there is NO EXCUSE for them trying to charge that much money for their bad design that clearly hasn't been fixed in your case! Maybe they aren't even installing it properly? They have MORE THAN ENOUGH telematics data available to know that you are or are not abusing your car in any way that could cause these to fail that often. They need to prove this is your fault, or start eating the costs until they figure out how to solve it.

Paying them is just rewarding them for the bad behavior.

Reactions: ohmman
If the axles are being damaged that rapidly, I'd be questioning why they aren't replaced under warranty AND why you aren't being charged the proper TSB rate of $350.

This is NOT your problem to solve and there is NO EXCUSE for them trying to charge that much money for their bad design that clearly hasn't been fixed in your case! Maybe they aren't even installing it properly? They have MORE THAN ENOUGH telematics data available to know that you are or are not abusing your car in any way that could cause these to fail that often. They need to prove this is your fault, or start eating the costs until they figure out how to solve it.

Paying them is just rewarding them for the bad behavior.
I fought it a bit since I brought the car in last May for suspension noise and it was rejected as unreproducible, but this visit they found all kinds of issues. Not just the half shafts but some bushings wearing down and other things that I refuse to fix. There's no traction and I just don't have the drive to fight on this, sadly. I'm ready to leave the Model X world behind for good.

Reactions: njhtran
I fought it a bit since I brought the car in last May for suspension noise and it was rejected as unreproducible, but this visit they found all kinds of issues. Not just the half shafts but some bushings wearing down and other things that I refuse to fix. There's no traction and I just don't have the drive to fight on this, sadly. I'm ready to leave the Model X world behind for good.
I feel the same way but I'll take it a step further. Unless I can get my FSD and SC01 transferred to a new Cyberbeast, or if Tesla figures out FSD 100%, I'm done with Tesla.