Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front headlight not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two months old M3P. One headlight stopped working few days ago. Scheduled a mobile service but about a week out. Anyone have experience with this and will they charge me for it?!
I had the same issue with my 21 LR. I originally scheduled a mobile service, but they changed it to a service center. There was a delay in getting the part and they had to reschedule a couple times but I finally got it replaced under warranty.

Hi Guys,
Although this post is from March, I am having the same issues with my M3P.

I just picked it up 4 days ago, and my left headlight stopped working, I am going early morning to the SC (None US country) - hopefully they will fix it.

Anything that I need to be aware of? the repairs are of good quality? feels a bit bad that in a new car need to disassemble the headlights and all.

Updating because someone might find it important later on:

Visited our SC, they replcaced my faulty headlight unit, but when I viewed the front I saw the replaced headlight is not aligned!
I asked them to do it properly this time, and another 3 hours of wait (I returned home and back) - returned to a boiling hot Tesla but the headlight was aligned and working as it should!

I hope this will sum up my visits to the SC (the car is a week old) overall I am happy.

I have two months old M3P. One headlight stopped working few days ago. Scheduled a mobile service but about a week out. Anyone have experience with this and will they charge me for it?!
This has happened to me at around 6 months of ownership. My drivers side headlight went and when that happens, you lose function in your wipers also. It was fun.

Everything is covered in the 50,000 mile warranty.

Hi All,
So suddenly again the left headlight (after they replaced it with a new one!) this time the upper headlight (eyebrow) stopped working.

After a few hours it got working again.. I really dont know what's going on, anyone have any idea what part or technically what is causing this? Since i fear getting back to the SC they will just replace it again.

Maybe it's related to wiring? Some headlight control unit?

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_145049.jpg
    IMG_20210702_145049.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 712
Anyone have any luck getting the daylight running light fixed without replacing the whole assembly ($1,175)

We have 72K miles, so long out of warranty.
Unfortunately no. When my mobile tech came out to replace my headlights, he mentioned how he wished that you can open the unit and replace parts inside instead of the whole unit for somethings that are easy to diagnose. Currently the whole light unit is sealed so you have to replace the whole thing if something went wrong inside.

Unfortunately no. When my mobile tech came out to replace my headlights, he mentioned how he wished that you can open the unit and replace parts inside instead of the whole unit for somethings that are easy to diagnose. Currently the whole light unit is sealed so you have to replace the whole thing if something went wrong inside.
I'm looking at buying a salvaged unit for around $200, but worried about making the situation worse.

Have same problem withmy dec20 M3
One headlight, was on SC to fix it for 5 days. And Evryting work fine for 3 weeks. And then og happening agein only one headlight. So have to go back to SC agein. Its is so irritabel this prob..

Me too.
I have one of the daylight running lights out and it isn't worth $1175 to fix that.

But with a salvaged unit, available for under $200, I'm concerned I'd be swapping one minor problem for another, more serious problem

What's really needed is the ability to replace individual lights inside the unit.

Me too.
I have one of the daylight running lights out and it isn't worth $1175 to fix that.

But with a salvaged unit, available for under $200, I'm concerned I'd be swapping one minor problem for another, more serious problem

What's really needed is the ability to replace individual lights inside the unit.
Just checked on ebay and some of the sub 200 listings do look fairly promising with headlights with minimal wear and damage. I would try finding a listing that says fully tested or new (other). Push comes to shove you can just file a complaint/return through ebay or paypal for "item is not as described" and get your money back. Another much cheaper option is just to swap out the DRL/Signature light module (6002TZ0328 and 6002TZ0327).

Just checked on ebay and some of the sub 200 listings do look fairly promising with headlights with minimal wear and damage. I would try finding a listing that says fully tested or new (other). Push comes to shove you can just file a complaint/return through ebay or paypal for "item is not as described" and get your money back. Another much cheaper option is just to swap out the DRL/Signature light module (6002TZ0328 and 6002TZ0327).
Swapping out a module is interesting, but who is doing that?

Hi All,
So suddenly again the left headlight (after they replaced it with a new one!) this time the upper headlight (eyebrow) stopped working.

After a few hours it got working again.. I really dont know what's going on, anyone have any idea what part or technically what is causing this? Since i fear getting back to the SC they will just replace it again.

Maybe it's related to wiring? Some headlight control unit?
Just updating (in case someone will look up this thread) - I returned of course to the SC, they replaced the entire headlight unit (again) - this time they told me they made sure everything is assembled correctly and that no issues should return.

So far the headlight is working great, no issues what so ever (for 2 weeks now or so) - I'm glad It's over, and hopefully this is it for the headlights issues.

Have had my 2022 M3SR for 2 weeks and my driver side headlight stopped working. Requested mobile service, but 1st available slot was 3 weeks out. Took it to Buena Park SC yesterday and hope they can get it fixed by today. Highly inconvenient for a brand new car