Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front hood "pops" open but still latched, cannot lift up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Model S LR just picked up end of August. I've accessed the hood several times successfully. After pressing to pop open the hood, the hood slightly lifts up, it is still latched and I am unable to lift up. Multiple times of pressing down on the hood to completely close and then trying again with the same results. Is there somewhere under the hood I can press to unlatch the final amount so the hood can be lifted?

Tesla sales showed me this trick when I got my car. The second latch locks the frunk if you don't open it after a few minutes. It is tight, but everyone need to know how to do this. It WILL happen to you. Start the video halfway at 1:41.

Last edited:
There was a issue on our 2020. Tesla mobile can out to check at our home. The tech basically put car in drive and popped the frunk. Apparently there were models that frunk had come unlatched while driving and flew up. He had only found one that did and there was a re-adjustment that had to be preformed. He said that if vehicle is in park then the trunk releases the second latch in 10-15 secs...

M

In typical style for Tesla - the same car in a different year from whatever that video owner has.... Is completely different and lacks what he is pointing out.

The older cars don't have the manual power latch release either. On my 2014 there is a tiny cable under the driver's side but not the passenger side, and pulling it doesn't seem to do anything, it is hanging slack. There also is no handle on the end like his video shows, and the top panel under the frunk is also designed differently. Mine has a large rubber button to the passenger side of the latches, that is pulled down with the secondary latch. If the primary does work, at least you can release it that way. But at the moment I know of no way to release the primary without the solenoid. It is the same for the power latch - the manual release that is SUPPOSED to be inside the interior doesn't exist.

Yay for rolling changes with no documented dates of change.

2022 Model S LR just picked up end of August. I've accessed the hood several times successfully. After pressing to pop open the hood, the hood slightly lifts up, it is still latched and I am unable to lift up. Multiple times of pressing down on the hood to completely close and then trying again with the same results. Is there somewhere under the hood I can press to unlatch the final amount so the hood can be lifted?
I had a similar issue with my July ‘22 build MSLR. A 2nd unlatch press while gently pulling up on the frunk hood allowed it to open. The service center took a look and said that the latch parts were “offset” so they moved the the top and/or bottom pieces to align them and it works fine now.