Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Left Speaker/Dash Rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a rattle that sounds like it comes from the front left speaker area on the dash grille during bumpier or graveled roads. Its not all the time so it makes it kind of hard to diagnose. I've watched the video on the dash grille removal which displays underneath the grille as well as the grille piece clips. Between that video and tapping around on the grill I'm 90% convinced it involves a clip from that mesh grille. I've already ruled out the VIN plate issue. I've already tried stuffing some acoustic foam between the windshield and grille but that doesn't resolve it.

Anyone have this issue and actually get it SUCCESSFULLY resolved? Yes I'm aware of the policy and costs associated with rattles and I honestly don't mind paying. Just curious to see if anyone has encountered this and can share their resolution so I can maybe troubleshoot it myself or with a mobile tech!

Thanks!

I have a rattle that sounds like it comes from the front left speaker area on the dash grille during bumpier or graveled roads. Its not all the time so it makes it kind of hard to diagnose. I've watched the video on the dash grille removal which displays underneath the grille as well as the grille piece clips. Between that video and tapping around on the grill I'm 90% convinced it involves a clip from that mesh grille. I've already ruled out the VIN plate issue. I've already tried stuffing some acoustic foam between the windshield and grille but that doesn't resolve it.

Anyone have this issue and actually get it SUCCESSFULLY resolved? Yes I'm aware of the policy and costs associated with rattles and I honestly don't mind paying. Just curious to see if anyone has encountered this and can share their resolution so I can maybe troubleshoot it myself or with a mobile tech!

Thanks!
Have the same issue and i've taken it to the SC 3x with no resolution. Have mobile service scheduled today to try again. List of things they've tried/ areas to look at:
  • Felt tape under dash
  • Felt tape under speaker grill contact points
  • Foam inside the steering wheel column housing
Like you, I was convinced the noise was coming from the speaker grill but now am not entirely sure. I do think its localized somewhere around the front drivers side/ left side. I've seen so many people with this rattle with no real solutions. I am going to try to see if they can actually replace the steering wheel column housing since the plastic is very creaky as well but don't know if thats really the source.

Other areas i've seen as possible sources that (i believe) i've eliminated as source of rattle is:
  • frunk hinge plastic clips (need to be taped down)
  • wheel well liners flapping against body (need felt tape where liner and body make contact or on edge so that they don't touch a

I have that issue. I took the car in for service and they did not solve the problem. So, I pushed a piece of acoustic insulation foam (used primarily to line the inside of computer cases) in the gap between the black fabric grill and the A pillar cover. Thus far, that seems to have mitigate the rattle...but in our case the rattle occurs when it's hot outside, so time will tell if the tweak has a long term affect.

I have that issue. I took the car in for service and they did not solve the problem. So, I pushed a piece of acoustic insulation foam (used primarily to line the inside of computer cases) in the gap between the black fabric grill and the A pillar cover. Thus far, that seems to have mitigate the rattle...but in our case the rattle occurs when it's hot outside, so time will tell if the tweak has a long term affect.
Yea my noise can be intermittent but never know exactly what the triggers are. I do think that generally it happens more when the car is warmed up...which makes it difficult to get it to happen during service tech drive-alongs since it usually takes 15-20 min for it to start. But this isn't consistent behavior.

Do you have a link to the insulation foam you used?

Yea my noise can be intermittent but never know exactly what the triggers are. I do think that generally it happens more when the car is warmed up...which makes it difficult to get it to happen during service tech drive-alongs since it usually takes 15-20 min for it to start. But this isn't consistent behavior.

Do you have a link to the insulation foam you used?
img_7119-jpg.483263

Have the same issue and i've taken it to the SC 3x with no resolution. Have mobile service scheduled today to try again. List of things they've tried/ areas to look at:
  • Felt tape under dash
  • Felt tape under speaker grill contact points
  • Foam inside the steering wheel column housing
Like you, I was convinced the noise was coming from the speaker grill but now am not entirely sure. I do think its localized somewhere around the front drivers side/ left side. I've seen so many people with this rattle with no real solutions. I am going to try to see if they can actually replace the steering wheel column housing since the plastic is very creaky as well but don't know if thats really the source.

Other areas i've seen as possible sources that (i believe) i've eliminated as source of rattle is:
  • frunk hinge plastic clips (need to be taped down)
  • wheel well liners flapping against body (need felt tape where liner and body make contact or on edge so that they don't touch a

Whenever its happening and I place my hand on the grille the rattle stops so I feel like it has to be that?!

PLEASE update once the mobile tech looks at it today I hope for a successful solution!

Do you have a picture of where you placed the foam? Was it between the A pillar and grille? or between the windshield and grille?

This may or may not be helpful. I had a rattle that I described much as you did, and it turned out I was wrong where it was coming from. Here's my post in another thread: I need to know about your rattles..... And even if that's not your story, there are lots of other things people have found in that thread. Maybe one will be magic for you.
Thanks! I just read your post could you post a picture of where exactly you're talking about?

Do you have a picture of where you placed the foam? Was it between the A pillar and grille? or between the windshield and grille?
LOL. In the quote you copied, I wrote "I pushed a piece of acoustic insulation foam (used primarily to line the inside of computer cases) in the gap between the black fabric grill and the A pillar cover."

I don't have a photo. The foam is not visible.

LOL. In the quote you copied, I wrote "I pushed a piece of acoustic insulation foam (used primarily to line the inside of computer cases) in the gap between the black fabric grill and the A pillar cover."

I don't have a photo. The foam is not visible.
I mean i get what you're saying i guess i figured you wouldn't just shove it underneath to hide it because then you're covering the speaker as well. That was my logic behind that.

Same here in regards to:
1. the weather (warn/direct sunlight on the grill.)
2. the rattle goes away if I put my hand or put my phone (or something else) on the grill.

I tried putting foam between the A pillar cover and the grill and the grill and the windshield but no luck. Then I took the A pillar cover off and stuffed some foam underneath but that didn't solve it either.

I'm going to try some more foam underneath in a couple more locations as well as slapping on some dynamat underneath to see it that changes the frequency enough to fix it.

Reactions: tvad
Same here in regards to:
1. the weather (warn/direct sunlight on the grill.)
2. the rattle goes away if I put my hand or put my phone (or something else) on the grill.

I tried putting foam between the A pillar cover and the grill and the grill and the windshield but no luck. Then I took the A pillar cover off and stuffed some foam underneath but that didn't solve it either.

I'm going to try some more foam underneath in a couple more locations as well as slapping on some dynamat underneath to see it that changes the frequency enough to fix it.
Yup. That's my rattle.

The foam I used is somewhat akin to dynamat.

It's a head scratcher that this rattle is not unusual, yet service technicians cannot always fix it.

Perhapse you are having this issue:
or this one:
These rattles are not what I am experiencing.

The rubber tweak in Hack #2 is good. You can buy small sheets of rubber in different thicknesses and softness (durometer) from McMaster-Carr online.

The glue technique in Hack #1 is not something I would do because it would make replacing the tweeter difficult without breaking the housing clip. One might try a small piece of BluTak instead.

Weird question.

we all seem to think there’s a correlation of the rattle with hot days or the sun beating on it.

do any of y’all that experience the rattle happen to have ceramic tint on the windshield?

I’m wondering if that reduction in heat could possibly reduce the rattle occurrence

I know it’s kind of a crazy idea but hey