Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front lic plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats the front lic plate holder...

Attachments

• 37FF0D5C-3D89-44B5-BA6E-7BBFBF370ADD.jpeg
    37FF0D5C-3D89-44B5-BA6E-7BBFBF370ADD.jpeg
    662 KB · Views: 266
This is always a confusing subject for me - it’s hard to imagine how it would be ‘optional’ to have a front numberplate. What happens with speed cameras and toll gantries if you don’t have a front plate? Heavy fines here :)

In New Zealand we have three sizes of numberplate in use; standard size is similar to the US size (not as tall as Japanese plates but slightly wider), but then those of us with personalised plates have either opted for ‘slim’ (Australian-size; same width as standard but smaller letters/not as tall) or Euro size (much wider, slightly less tall than standard). There is actually a fourth style which approximates the US size and is taller to accomodate additional text underneath; generally used for explaining particularly obscure personalised plate choices or promoting a business name.

Our Range - KiwiPlates

My personalised plates are Euro size. Am I going to be able to get the appropriate plinth in NZ, or has Tesla completely underestimated the need to supply three different shapes in the one market? Will I have to order the mounting from a UK Tesla dealer? We’ll see :)

-Alex

Last edited:
took delivery today , and i dont like the lic plate holder they said its glued on the front bumper, anybody had an experience taking them off ? if so did it damage the paint underneath the glue area and HOW? .thnxs in advance...

I recall seeing in a Model 3 owner’s manual - available online somewhere - how to attach the front number plate holder, with photos. It has strips of 3M double sided tape with the red film. Therefore it is strong (red tape is stronger than green tape) but it is removable. You can use brake cleaner to soften the adhesive before pulling the holder off, or you could use fishing line in a kind of cheese-wire fashion (apparently dental floss works as well) to cut through the foam tape, then clean off the residue later with the brake cleaner.

-Alex

took delivery today , and i dont like the lic plate holder they said its glued on the front bumper, anybody had an experience taking them off ? if so did it damage the paint underneath the glue area and HOW? .thnxs in advance...
What don't you like about it? It sticks on and holds your front plate. I've had mine since September 2018 without issue.

Do you want the option to remove it at random?

Yikes...I wasn't sure how it attached. I live in Colorado, so a front plate is required, but I was thrilled to see that the Littleton Delivery Center was not installing them by default. I am planning to use an aftermarket solution that mounts with either screws or magnets to the lower grillwork. The magnetic option is nice so it can be quickly removed for photos, etc.

I recall seeing in a Model 3 owner’s manual - available online somewhere - how to attach the front number plate holder, with photos. It has strips of 3M double sided tape with the red film. Therefore it is strong (red tape is stronger than green tape) but it is removable. You can use brake cleaner to soften the adhesive before pulling the holder off, or you could use fishing line in a kind of cheese-wire fashion (apparently dental floss works as well) to cut through the foam tape, then clean off the residue later with the brake cleaner.

-Alex

This is exactly how it is attached. It is not easy to remove. Dental floss will get you started from the top corners. If you are lucky, it will have been installed poorly and the double-sided tape will have not made full contact with the bumper. In my case, it was attached at the top and bottom with the middle section floating free. Warming the area will help so I suggest parking the car in the sun before attempting to remove. There was no damage to the paint but be careful with the dental floss!

Reactions: alexGS
This is exactly how it is attached. It is not easy to remove. Dental floss will get you started from the top corners. If you are lucky, it will have been installed poorly and the double-sided tape will have not made full contact with the bumper. In my case, it was attached at the top and bottom with the middle section floating free. Warming the area will help so I suggest parking the car in the sun before attempting to remove. There was no damage to the paint but be careful with the dental floss!
Warming (i.e. softening the adhesive) is the key. I haven't yet removed a Model 3 front plate holder, but I helped remove the base of the Model S holder, which uses the same kind of tape. Carefully pulling it off while aiming a heat gun on the gap with the adhesive made it rather easy.

Reactions: M3forME#23
I have used the Cravenspeed "Platypus" tow-eye mount on my last 5 cars: a GTI, a Stingray, an F-Pace, a BRZ, and now the TM3. Each one has been different, engineered precisely to fit the car and to make the plate avoid the parking and other sensors in the car's bumper. In the Model 3's case, it has a little extension bracket that moves the backing plate up about two inches from the tow-eye point.

The mounts are rock solid and very well made. The company has an any time/any reason/forever refund policy. And, the owner personally answered an email from me when, one of the times, an incorrect part was mistakenly shipped. Great product, great company.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-platypus-license-plate-mount-1/2019-06-12 19.57.32.jpg

took delivery today, and i don't like the lic plate holder they said its glued on the front bumper,
anybody had an experience taking them off ?
if so did it damage the paint underneath the glue area and HOW? .thanks in advance...

I spent quite a time testing various Model 3 front License holder.
Finally I came back using the Tesla license plate holder.

The reason was that I wanted to provide a good front protection against any damage when parking in the street.
- The various non Tesla holders were too low to protect against other cars bumpers.
- Also they were attached to the front ventilation grill, which could be damaged.

1) I put first a piece of ($28) 3M Ventureshield Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film on top of the front bumper area.
- I cut a little bit larger than the Tesla license holder, so I am able to remove the license plate without damaging the paint.
- The 3M clear film is not visible, and can also be removed using an hair dryer.

2) I taped the Tesla license on top of the film on the bumper, and waited for a day for the tape to cure.

3) I installed a special ($21) Flexyframe LD - Front Bumper Guard to provide additional protection

4) I protected the license plate itself using a ($14) Lebogner Car License Plates Shields cover plastic

Warming (i.e. softening the adhesive) is the key. I haven't yet removed a Model 3 front plate holder, but I helped remove the base of the Model S holder, which uses the same kind of tape. Carefully pulling it off while aiming a heat gun on the gap with the adhesive made it rather easy.

A true heat gun is ideal but those unfamiliar with them may damage the paint. A hair dryer is also a good option as I doubt it can get hot enough to damage the paint.

Did you get yours from Costa Mesa? I tried telling those putz' not to install mine and they ignored me and installed it. They did tell me they use 2-sided tape which should come off easy.