Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license Plate adhesive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Check out the Quick Bandit, the LivingTesla SnapPlate, ThatGrin. There are others. I have the SnapPlate from Living Tesla. I like that the SnapPlate mount is easily removable (if you use an automated car wash for example but can be secured with a single security screw if you desire.) Also, unlike most of the front license plate mounts for Tesla vehicles the SnapPlate is designed to break away under force so that the front grill of the Tesla vehicle is less likely to be damaged. Replacement parts for the SnapPlate are available and inexpensive.

Yes. Check out the Quick Bandit, the LivingTesla SnapPlate, ThatGrin. There are others. I have the SnapPlate from Living Tesla. I like that the SnapPlate mount is easily removable (if you use an automated car wash for example but can be secured with a single security screw if you desire.) Also, unlike most of the front license plate mounts for Tesla vehicles the SnapPlate is designed to break away under force so that the front grill of the Tesla vehicle is less likely to be damaged. Replacement parts for the SnapPlate are available and inexpensive.

Does the SnapPlate impede the active shutter from operating?

Does the SnapPlate impede the active shutter from operating?
No, the SnapPlate does not impede the active shutter. Some have stated that they believe the SnapPlate mount blocks some of the airflow through the grill; maybe Living Tesla will add to the discussion if they care to comment. I think this is not a concern.

I have the original SnapPlate installed on my Model Y. Living Tesla later redesigned the SnapPlate mount to be stronger but so that the mount will still break away under force to protect the Tesla's grill from being damaged. The reason for the change is that SnapPlate owners wanted to be able to take their vehicle through an automated car wash without first removing the SnapPlate (even though it is designed to be easily removed, reinstalled.) I reached out to Living Tesla to ask if I should upgrade my SnapPlate to the latest mounting parts and they said there was no reason to change to the newer parts unless I plan to use an automated car wash. If I do decide to ever use an automated car wash (winter is just getting started here in the mid Atlantic region) I will first remove the SnapPlate. What I really like about the SnapPlate is the extra thought that went into the product during design.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: elementsdk1
No, the SnapPlate does not impede the active shutter. Some have stated that they believe the SnapPlate mount blocks some of the airflow through the grill; maybe Living Tesla will add to the discussion if they care to comment. I think this is not a concern.

Thanks. I'm in CA and will look into SnapPlate. Probably toss one in the trunk for those instances where I need front plates.

I’m looking into this:
Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento

Living in the Bay Area no front plate isn’t an option. You will be ticketed just being parked on the street without it and bridges are using plate reading tech for easier toll collection.
I saw one installed recently on a Tesla here in Maryland. It could have been a Model X; I did not like the look and thought the bend was ugly.

I’m looking into this:
Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento

Living in the Bay Area no front plate isn’t an option. You will be ticketed just being parked on the street without it and bridges are using plate reading tech for easier toll collection.
I've got this and very happy with it. Though technically the approval ends on January 1st 2021... Very unlikely you will be ticketed in particular considering Covid and the thousands of cars without a front license plate around.

Bill Text - AB-1614 Vehicles: license plate pilot program.

I've got this and very happy with it. Though technically the approval ends on January 1st 2021... Very unlikely you will be ticketed in particular considering Covid and the thousands of cars without a front license plate around.

Bill Text - AB-1614 Vehicles: license plate pilot program.

As someone that works in SF, I can vouch that meter maids in particular will give you a ticket for not having a front license plate, even if there is zero infraction with your parking (not curbing tires, meter expired, parked in a section of street the sign says you cannot and etc...). The city needs money (don't ask me where it goes).

That being said, I'm still not going to put the front plate on our Tesla for normal driving around, but did buy a quick bandit to have on hand for when I'm parked in SF.

As someone that works in SF, I can vouch that meter maids in particular will give you a ticket for not having a front license plate, even if there is zero infraction with your parking
Yes, understood, I just wanted to say that the licenseplatewrap is legitimate, and that even after its trial period expires I expect that it won't be treated the same as having no front license plate.

Thank you SO MUCH for alerting me (and others) to this. Have you heard whether this option is still available (since the pilot program apparently ended)?

*****​

I have reviewed SnapPlate, Slipstream, Quick Bandit and The Law license plate holders. Plus various non-drill eBay (or other inexpensive online) products that seem to all clamp out-of-sight to the grill-work in the front lower air-duct).

I am no expert, and have not actually examined any of these in person.

But from studying the online photographs, diagrams, reviews, videos, and testimonials, I very much like the Quick Bandit product. It's a clever 3-D-printed product design. The way its clamp avoids the delicate grill-work and instead secures to the much sturdier edges of the front bumper air duct seems to me to be superior. (But I am still willing to listen to opposing arguments.) Unfortunately, the issue is moot for me as there is no Quick Bandit product for Models S and X.

The SnapPlate, Slipstream, and The Law devices--while cleaver--concern me, because they all appear to be attached to delicate grill pieces that can break if sufficient force is applied to the license plate assembly (e.g., from a parking-stall curb). The exception is, of course, SnapPlate, which is designed and intended to break before the anchoring grill pieces. That's smart, but to me SnapPlate is too breakable. Using it I definitely see myself losing the license plate on the road or in a car-wash place.

I think these (expensive) easily-removable options are probably great for people who actually intend to drive around without a front license plate most of the time. When needed they can whip the license plate assembly out of the trunk and install it in seconds; then remove it just as quickly. But I want something that is (a) non-damaging and (b) going to stay in place most of the time.

By the way, I take exception with the universally-touted (by manufacturers) idea these products can and will be be easily removed before car washes and such. Yes they can, but how many people are going to forget to do so? A small minority? Maybe, But I lump myself among those who will inevitably, eventually forget to remove the license plant assembly and end up with a broken mount or broken grill work. (Analogously, no one thinks they are going to forget that their bicycle roof bike rack and expensive bikes are up there--but they do, all the time. I worked in a bike shop, and its pretty disastrous for the small minority who do forget.)

So anyway, I am excited about the license plate wrap option, assuming it is still a viable alternative.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
...Have you heard whether this option is still available (since the pilot program apparently ended)?...The exception is, of course, SnapPlate, which is designed and intended to break before the anchoring grill pieces...I think these (expensive) easily-removable options are probably great for people who actually intend to drive around without a front license plate most of the time...I want something that is (a) non-damaging and (b) going to stay in place most of the time.

Based on initial customer feedback SnapPlate redesigned their original mount to be strong enough to go through a car wash. If you have the older SnapPlate you can purchase the updated parts to strengthen the mount.

Right. Good information. However, for me it does not resolve the underlying, fundamental issue--that the SnapPlate, Slipstream, The Law, and maybe the Quick Bandit are really intended for people who intend to leave their front license plate off much of the time. They can probably avoid or lessen any risk of damage to the front grill, because usually the device is not installed. I, on the other hand, want to install my license and forget it. Since the Quick Bandit, my "on paper" favorite no-drill, no-adhesive gadget is unavailable to me (for a yet to be delivered Model X), I am focusing on another innovative option--the license plate wrap option. However, nothing is carefree. With the LP wrap I have to worry about proper installation (by me) and avoidance of any front bumper sensors.

I installed the SnapPlate on my Model Y in July '20 when I received my permanent tags. I used the security screw so the SnapPlate cannot be removed without first removing the security screw, else breaking away the SnapPlate. I consider SnapPlate to be a permanent front license plate mount. I currently have no plans to take my Model Y through an automated car wash. I know I can remove the security screw and then remove the SnapPlate quickly if needed.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
F136209D-C26D-4C96-AE62-40018EDF3FDE.jpeg
I had the whole front PPF’d too. I was looking at all those other options but too much money for my taste and the stock one works and looks good (IMHO). I feel like it’s also an extra bumper cushion if anyone or anything were to bump in to the front end.

Just be sure to clean the area that you’re going to put the plate bracket on really well and using rubbing alcohol. Then apply the bracket and use painters tape to hold it in place for like 24-48 hours. Mine has been on for a couple months and staying in place no matter what.

(green stuff you see is just a reflection/light bouncing off when I took the picture)

Reactions: SeanTT and 2101Guy
I have my MY wrapped with PPF and the front plate was put back on with a adhesive tape. Now it just fell off. Is there a better, more solid way to have the front plate mounted? My state requires front plate.
Im also in virginia and on month 14 with no front plate. Even got a speeding ticket once and no mention of no front plate.
I keep it in the trunk in case im ever in DC and I'll stick it on the dash. Got a ticket in DC once years ago for no front plate while parked in Gtown. Which angered me as I had Va plates then too....

Just started this thread to try to summarize all the options: