Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Bracket For Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Asad1087, thanks for the suggestion. Spoke to a battery engineer that actually works on Model 3 2170 cells at the Gigafactory. He mentioned that my 1st prototype below is not a good idea and specifically said that "Batteries need to be cooled to preserve their life."

View attachment 304732

**Correction: The airflow vents cool the battery, electronics & drive train motor:

Yeah, you are correct. The picture in the product page has the mounting piece flipped around for some reason. I did not have to bend the bracket at all, it was already slightly bent outwards, which was good. The directions say that you want it actually angled inwards at the top so that it touches the car. This is likely so it doesnt rattle when youre driving around. It does have a rubber stopper at the top so it wont scratch your car. It has a large removable nut that takes 5 seconds to get off when you want to remove the plate. Picture of what it looks like, semi bent:
View attachment 307860

I havent tried to pry it off, but per the product page, they hung a 10lb weight off of it and it didnt budge at all. They also drove around at 100mph and it didnt budge. Its definitely the strongest double sided tape I've witnessed so far. I havent drove around with the plate on yet, I'm going to let it sit and cure for the full 72 hours. Additionally, I will likely only keep it on while parked in SF, where the parking maids will ticket you without a front plate

It was initially tested by mounting the base to a painted surface with the bracket attached and we let it sit for a week; it didn’t move. Then we hung 10lbs of weight off the mount with the bracket attached and let it sit for a week; it didn’t move. Then we mounted it on a 2015 Mustang GT, took it up to 100mph using the 3M tape mounting option; it didn’t move.

I will email the guy to see if he would make custom ones for the Model 3 where we can screw it in at the bottom of the plate (and maybe use double sided tape near the top) so then it wont cover any of the vent. But again, this is not as bad as some other mounts as there is still room for air to get in the vent

Reactions: TonyPham
This listing is certainly lacking details. It shows the stock Tesla plate holder but the product isn't pictured. It consists of some kind of hardware that attaches to your own supplied Tesla plate holder, but no photos of the hardware or how it mounts to the grill.

Quite certain it works like a drywall anchor. Each mount has a "butterfly" like, spring loaded metal tabs and just pulls the stock plate mount against the bumper. Kinda like Zac is explaining below (skip to time 1:40)

• Informative
Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
Odd, my reply didn’t post, and I can’t seem to edit/delete the empty one via mobile, but just wanted to thank @ranova for sharing about the experience with the alternate plate mount.

Would love to hear how things have been for the last few months. SF parking can be pretty brutal with the fix-it tickets. ;)

Still working great for me. I've honestly only had to use it a few times since my post since I rarely go up to SF but have driven with the plate connected at 75+ mph without any rattling or AP issues.

Still working great for me. I've honestly only had to use it a few times since my post since I rarely go up to SF but have driven with the plate connected at 75+ mph without any rattling or AP issues.

@ranova,
Thanks for finding this and posting about your experience. This is the best easily-removable solution I've seen. I have it in hand and will install when my plates get delivered.

Reactions: TonyPham