Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Bracket For Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@PhilH Euro version is on the drawing board. A bit tricky because it's much wider. Will update once tested transparent with ultrasonic sensors & EAP. Thanks!

Many thanks Tony,

But the Swiss plates (as we're non-EU) are much smaller than in the rest of Europe.
Also smaller than the US, so with shorter mounting arms (plate is only 8cm high) your current US it should work fine

Here's a couple of pics;
sw51550250088700.jpg

and on my model S

IMG_20180502_092958.jpg

Measurements are as follows;

Front - 8 x 30 cm
Rear - 11 x 50 cm

As mentioned, i'd be happy to pay for the bracket and support arms, and can look locally how a small format Swiss plate (like the one in the pic) would fit. Some local development in cold Switzerland.

Reactions: TonyPham
Many thanks Tony,

But the Swiss plates (as we're non-EU) are much smaller than in the rest of Europe.
Also smaller than the US, so with shorter mounting arms (plate is only 8cm high) your current US it should work fine

Here's a couple of pics;
View attachment 375144
and on my model S

View attachment 375146

Measurements are as follows;

Front - 8 x 30 cm
Rear - 11 x 50 cm

As mentioned, i'd be happy to pay for the bracket and support arms, and can look locally how a small format Swiss plate (like the one in the pic) would fit. Some local development in cold Switzerland.
Will check it out, thanks!

I spoke to a Tesla Battery Engineer that works at Gigafactory 1 during my designing phase with same questions. The opening is about 70 square inches and that only cooling vent is thermal management for the battery, drivetrain, electronics (including Autopilot computer), and the A/C condenser. Bare is preferred aesthetically, but The Bandit is probably the best design I could come up with & also allows cleaning PPF. Link review is in my signature and another one here, thanks!

View attachment 374468
The fan will run little faster if blocked by the plate holder in front of the louvers to compensate for loss of little volume on high ambient temps. That is to it. I never had any issues with plate holder mounted in front of the louvers.

I've got a Euro Model 3 on the boat, for a March delivery.
I'm Swiss based, and we have small format front plates here (8 x 30cm).

Could someone measure the rough width of the grill section (distance between the bumper and the bottom air dam) as I'm wondering if a Swiss small format plate would sit flush in that gap. It would look pretty slick if it did.

@TonyPham - a version of your transparent prototype you posted could work here.

I've got a small format plate on my Model S, low down and it looks pretty good.

Thanks in advance.
Width of the air intake space is 11 cm right at the opening and 10 cm next to louvers.

Anyone from europe know if the factory license plate holders are glued or screwed on the front bumper?

In Belgium we can get squared license plates on the front. Those can fit in a us system (like bandit) with an extra adapter.

Anyone from europe know if the factory license plate holders are glued or screwed on the front bumper?

On mine they are screwed. My PPF installer had to remove them for installing the film and showed me the setup.

Incidentally, for all those in the US who don't need front license plates or who like to take chances: in Germany a guy was stopped for not having a front plate. When the police told the guy he said they should check again. And lo and behold, there was a plate after all. The guy had installed a motorized license plate holder that could hide the plate under the bumper and could be controlled via a button on the steering wheel. He was charged for license plate forgery and had to pay a fine of 3,500 Euro! That's Germany for you.

I use zip ties. I bend the plate slightly, and I put some Velcro, the soft side where the plate touches lower body work, then zip tie to plastic grill. Been there almost 2 years
No issues with cooling, or air intake. I think absurd the prices, plus mine below nose.

I use zip ties. I bend the plate slightly, and I put some Velcro, the soft side where the plate touches lower body work, then zip tie to plastic grill. Been there almost 2 years
No issues with cooling, or air intake. I think absurd the prices, plus mine below nose.

I see, are the zip ties secured to the vertical part of the plastic grill? Have you noticed any wear of the zip tie for rubbing on the metal license plate? Any signs of the plate flapping at speed?

Nope
It still seems pretty tight. I did bump it once
Would have damaged lower Tesla lip but bent plate slightly. I installed my brothers on his 3 too. Been there year and 1/2 with no issues. I wanted to cut plate to fit but cop said illegal. Ok if slightly bent

It’s been on almost 2 years, really blocks very little. I was considering drilling holes in plate but really hasn’t been an issue. If there was some heat issue with batteries, you would think some sort of warning. Been none, and it does get warm here.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ