TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front License Plate Bracket For Tesla Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by neptune2000, Dec 12, 2017.

1. TonyPham

TonyPham Member

Pinot.Noir, plans in progress. I'm refining the prototype now. Thank you

• Like x 1
  2. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Tony, excellent. I need a bracket ASAP. Thanks!

• Like x 1
  3. TonyPham

TonyPham Member

Latest prototype in final form. Tested and transparently compatible with Autopilot and Homelink. Modifying for machine screws and inserts instead of course screws, website coming soon. IMG_9139.jpg IMG_9144.jpg IMG_9146.jpg IMG_9159.jpg

• Like x 4
  4. atlas310

atlas310 Member

Looks good Tony. I like the version where the plate is on the same level as the mount so the mount is more hidden.

• Like x 4
  5. TonyPham

TonyPham Member

In my previous version I did but moved it up to minimize deflection of air flow to the vents.

6. ColoradoT&T

ColoradoT&T Member

I’m an engineer and love the look/initial design.
    How does it sound with a license at freeway speed? Any funny airflow/frequencies produced?

7. TonyPham

TonyPham Member

Thank you, nothing noticeable. Prototype is coming along well

8. Reaction26

Reaction26 Member

Tony:

Any ideas when you are looking to bring this out? I would mind be your test car on the east coast;)

I am looking at this type of feature where it pops out automatically with a switch of a button.

Let me know, Im curious a lot of people would be interested as long as it doesn't touch the paint.

Thanks,

Arash

• Like x 1
  9. TonyPham

TonyPham Member

Arash,
    Thank you for your interest, I'm in the final R&D stage - changing materials to a black Marine Board - would match better with the grill instead of the lightly smoked grey.

• Like x 1
  10. pxthree

pxthree Member

Do you currently have a sign up/reservation sheet for people who are interested to buy this?

• Like x 1
  11. TonyPham

TonyPham Member

Pending, working on the website as well, thank you pxthree

12. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

Tony, I look forward to seeing it available for sale! FWIW, I also like the lower version that hides the mounting hardware. It would also be cool if it were available in a version that could be offset to the side.

To those who asked, the company that makes The Law mount should have their Model 3 solution available within the next couple weeks (I spoke to them by phone yesterday).

• Like x 1
  13. TonyPham

TonyPham Member

Previous versions were lower, but did not want to block the vents and the location is close to the stock one. Photos of the updated final version and website soon.

14. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

Is blocking the vents an issue? The plate is hardly airtight, and if we're talking about airflow at highway speeds, isn't there enough airflow even if you assumed the plate blocked 100% of the vent area it covers?

• Like x 1
  15. TonyPham

TonyPham Member

I have not taken an exact measurement, but lowering it looks like it will block approximately 1/3 of the vent. Better to be on the safer side and position close to stock.

• Like x 1
  16. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

Tony this looks phenomenal! I am very interested in buying one - can you please keep me in the loop?

• Like x 1
  17. Kipp

Kipp Member

@TonyPham How solid is the bracket? What would happen if you accidentally pushed up against a wall during parking. Would the mount break or the grill it is attached to break? I would prefer the mount broke rather than the grill.

PS: I don't have a Model 3 yet to tell what the grill is made of.

18. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

#38 TheLocNar, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    This looks like a good removable alternative to the Tesla-supplied sticky tape doohickey.

Question: Has anyone tried a bracket that would screw into the front tow hook hole? It's a popular solution among the import tuner crowd. Not sure if a plate mounted in that location would interfere with the sensors or not, but this may be worth looking into. When you don't need/want your plate, just unscrew it and pop the cover back onto the hole.

**EDIT**

Forgot about the 9v method of opening the fronk in an emergency. I guess the cap has to be permanently attacked to the wires?

• Like x 1
  19. BoscoBoy

BoscoBoy Member

Your revised prototype doesn't interfere with the air intake, which is probably important.

• Like x 1
  20. toffty

toffty Member

Sign me up for one :D

• Like x 1