Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate/bracket on Plaids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up my Plaid on Saturday. I asked my SA to not mount the front plate bracket/minute. He says

“The front plate mount comes installed from the factory. On the Model S it is considered a safety issue if it is delivered without it.”

This cannot be true. What about the states with one license plate only?

So when I take it off will there be holes on the front of the bumper or is it mounted in a different manner? Thanks.

I am picking up my Plaid on Saturday. I asked my SA to not mount the front plate bracket/minute. He says

“The front plate mount comes installed from the factory. On the Model S it is considered a safety issue if it is delivered without it.”

This cannot be true. What about the states with one license plate only?

So when I take it off will there be holes on the front of the bumper or is it mounted in a different manner? Thanks.

The reason they are saying it’s a safety issue is because supposedly the crash testing was done with the plate frame on, so they are required to ship the car with it. But it does come off without damage as others have mentioned.

The reason they are saying it’s a safety issue is because supposedly the crash testing was done with the plate frame on, so they are required to ship the car with it. But it does come off without damage as others have mentioned.
That is what they told me as well when I bought my LR+

I removed both of mine using a heat gun. Remove the outer cover held on by 3 screws. Then direct the heat gun into the honeycomb of the mount. When it gets pretty hot and for enough time that the heat has had time to penetrate to the glue you can pull out the bottom edge.

I picked my Plaid up today. I was told by the dealership that the Model S was crash tested with the license plate bracket on, and because of this, the bracket is installed at the factory even though it would have little impact (no pun intended) on the safety in the event of a front end collision. The single license plate states have no bearing on whether or not the bracket is installed on the car.

I removed mine today using a hair dryer and thin line. It took about an hour and the results are perfect. When my floor mats were delivered my mobile tech said service would remove the bracket but sales would quote the mantra that it was needed due to crash certification. After watching several You Tube videos I decided to do the job myself. Easy to do and easier by lifting the car to very high.