Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in NYS, front license plate required.
For people who live in NYS and received a Model 3, was the front plate bracket already installed when you took delivery?
It should come with the car but I really don’t want them to attach with that sticky stuff.
thanks.

(moderator note: If you want NY area specific answers, I need to move the post to the regional subforum that covers that area.)

===================================

(regular content post)

For my delivery in late 2018, in CA (another state that requires a front plate) they did not mount the front plate. The plate holder was in the trunk. Unless something has changed, the standard plate mount is mounted with double stick tape.

I ran without a front plate for a while (Like I did for all of my other vehicles out here for the past 18 years, when I started driving cars where the look was better without the front plate). I then decided that the front of the model 3 looks too much like a vehicle from the cartoon movie "Cars", and actually needed something to break it up.

Because I also did not want to use the double stick tape method, I looked into one of the after market mounting solutions, and ended up using the one from Ottosteer. I really like it, and have had zero issues with it since I mounted it a year and half ago or so. Certainly was not the cheapest option but I didnt mind the cost for something that was well made, and it was (well made).

There are many many threads that discuss this in details. For my preferences, the "high end easily removable" options are either the quick bandit or the snapplate. From my understanding, they have minor variations on how they attach to the front and the snapplate is designed to protect the car by breaking. You can buy replacement parts if it does break. I went for the snapplate. Alternatives to either have shown reports of damages caused to the car for various reasons.

The stick on version can be used safely if you use an extra PPF rectangle to stick the plate holder to instead of to the bumper directly. I prefer the removable one myself.

I don't mean to be rude but there are TONS of threads on the subject already. It will be much easier to run a search on the board than hope to get all that info rebuilt here. My summarized version is "snapplate and quick bandit are the 2 better options"; you either chose between risk of damage + sturdier vs one designed to break that protects the car (but might require to buy replacement parts).

etc...

Reactions: jjrandorin