Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate camera; 12v switched/ACC availability? Has anyone done this mod?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Has anyone tried this mod on a Plaid or LR Model S? With my lowering links, I would like to add a license plate camera up from to assist with parking, etc. Debating battery powered or 12v. Is there switched 12v/ACC anywhere in the frunk near the license plate? What about those wires behind the bumper plug, used for "starting" the car when the 12v battery is dead?

Has anyone tried this mod on a Plaid or LR Model S? With my lowering links, I would like to add a license plate camera up from to assist with parking, etc. Debating battery powered or 12v. Is there switched 12v/ACC anywhere in the frunk near the license plate? What about those wires behind the bumper plug, used for "starting" the car when the 12v battery is dead?
Back in :)

• Disagree
Reactions: cubicalclang
Too lazy for that.
LOL. I'm pretty lazy too. But I will park at the far side of the parking lot to avoid dings.

It really does help a ton though backing in. Even cars that are not "lowered" I've crunched (even my Jeep Summit with air suspension).
What really drives me nuts is when I pull over some curb in front and the car lowers itself onto it and I can hear it crunching and I can't move fast enough to reverse it. Often, cars with auto lowering will lower just as you step out.

The rear is much higher and you have a great camera. And Tilting side view mirrors etc.

I wish they did put something for forward parking. But you are fully covered if you back in. Just need to form the habit.
Also with no rear cross path it's a win win.

What are you gonna view your plate camera on, your phone? That seems like more work than backing in.

LOL. I'm pretty lazy too. But I will park at the far side of the parking lot to avoid dings.

It really does help a ton though backing in. Even cars that are not "lowered" I've crunched (even my Jeep Summit with air suspension).
What really drives me nuts is when I pull over some curb in front and the car lowers itself onto it and I can hear it crunching and I can't move fast enough to reverse it. Often, cars with auto lowering will lower just as you step out.

The rear is much higher and you have a great camera. And Tilting side view mirrors etc.

I wish they did put something for forward parking. But you are fully covered if you back in. Just need to form the habit.
Also with no rear cross path it's a win win.

What are you gonna view your plate camera on, your phone? That seems like more work than backing in.
Too old and impatient to learn new habits! Gonna find a front camera and will tinker…

Keeping a good lens on a front cam will be challenging, bugs, rocks, dust etc. Adding sensors might be more practical. I'm spoiled by my backup cam display. My work truck cam is tiny. Amazes me how few people do back in. Usually I park beyond where anyone will likely be near me and pull through to the second spot.

Reactions: mswlogo
Keeping a good lens on a front cam will be challenging, bugs, rocks, dust etc. Adding sensors might be more practical. I'm spoiled by my backup cam display. My work truck cam is tiny. Amazes me how few people do back in. Usually I park beyond where anyone will likely be near me and pull through to the second spot.
I PFF’d mine and also ceramic coated that. No issue, thus far.

I feel the same. Even without lowering, the front bumper will not clear most curbs.
You can set the suspension to "high", but the car forgets that after it is off.. ouch.
There are a number of places where it is basically impossible to back in because of how the parking and traffic is laid out, so that isn't a good option either.

Parking... happens a lot, so a good fix for this would be.. good.