Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Delete?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never had a front license plate installed on any of my cars (yes, I know it is the law in CA). I emailed my DS to ensure that the front license plate was NOT installed on my Model S. He replied that "they had to deliver the MS with the front license plate frame installed as it had been crash tested that way...but it was easily removable post delivery without leaving any ugly drill holes". Any insight from drivers who have removed the front license plate frame? Is it easy to remove?
Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: EternalChampion
I have never had a front license plate installed on any of my cars (yes, I know it is the law in CA). I emailed my DS to ensure that the front license plate was NOT installed on my Model S. He replied that "they had to deliver the MS with the front license plate frame installed as it had been crash tested that way...but it was easily removable post delivery without leaving any ugly drill holes". Any insight from drivers who have removed the front license plate frame? Is it easy to remove?
Thanks

I removed mine in the delivery bay at the store. Use a set of 45 degree or 90 degree pliers to remove security screws on underside.
Use Phillips head screw driver to remove 3 screws from front of frame.
Should have just black piece remaining. It is stuck on with some serious 3M adhesive tape. Start at the top corner and begin pulling. Use all your finger strength you can muster. Just keep pressure on it. You'll slowly feel the tape releasing giving a better grip. Regrip it better and keep pulling and eventually it will pop off with a loud bang. You'll think you removed the bumper but you didn't. I had several DS, service guys, and store employees watching and laughing as I did it. Sooooo much better though.

Mine was not installed in GA and presumably it was crash tested the same way as yours...

Yea it is very hit or miss which stores deliver without it. Orlando said same thing OP said, that it was crash tested in place so they can't move it. The screws on underside are actually from Space X. Fun fact. Wrench doesn't exist to remove them except the custom ones made by people on here. But those are necessary. Pliers work great. Hardest part is the tape.

I removed mine in the delivery bay at the store. Use a set of 45 degree or 90 degree pliers to remove security screws on underside.
Use Phillips head screw driver to remove 3 screws from front of frame.
Should have just black piece remaining. It is stuck on with some serious 3M adhesive tape. Start at the top corner and begin pulling. Use all your finger strength you can muster. Just keep pressure on it. You'll slowly feel the tape releasing giving a better grip. Regrip it better and keep pulling and eventually it will pop off with a loud bang. You'll think you removed the bumper but you didn't. I had several DS, service guys, and store employees watching and laughing as I did it. Sooooo much better though.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Reactions: BigAirHarper
I just took delivery of a MS and I am contemplating removing the front license plate. However, in CA, both front and back license plates are required. I spoke with a CA based tesla service center and they said they would happily re-install the license plate free of charge for the fix it ticket, but they said they would screw the plate on the bumper (different than factory). Does anyone have a picture of a face lift model S with screwed on license plate? I dont know how i feel about holes in my car.....

I just took delivery of a MS and I am contemplating removing the front license plate. However, in CA, both front and back license plates are required. I spoke with a CA based tesla service center and they said they would happily re-install the license plate free of charge for the fix it ticket, but they said they would screw the plate on the bumper (different than factory). Does anyone have a picture of a face lift model S with screwed on license plate? I dont know how i feel about holes in my car.....
If you ever get a fix it ticket for no front plate
Purchase double sided tape, attach the plate in the parking lot
Get the ticket signed off
Remove and enjoy the rest of your day :)

The best way to remove the adhesive is with an auto trim removal kit. They're soft enough (plastic) not to scratch, but long and hard enough to get in there behind the plate holder and let you slowly and carefully pry the adhesive/plastic plate backing away while cutting/poking through the adhesive that's stretched. It leaves very little residue on the bumper too.

https://www.amazon.com/KINGLAKE®-Panel-Removal-Radio-Installer/dp/B00HNMLQAG

I had heard, from my detailer, that they actually stopped using those security screws below. This was about a month ago too - anyone that can verify they're just regular hex or philips now?

I bought the 3D-printed metal socket that is listed earlier in this thread, which made it easy to remove the two bottom screws. Then I used two plastic paint scrapers about 2-1/2 wide for leverage to pry off the bracket. I took a little prying pressure on top and bottom edges and patience. Once the bracket started to break away from the bumper far enough to get my fingers under it, I just pulled it off. Most of the black adhesive was on the bracket so I just rolled a small amount of adhesive off the bumper. Then I cleaned the bumper with dish soap and water followed by a little liquid car polish. It's a relatively easy job and took about 15-minutes. I reassembled the bracket parts; put the socket and screws in a plastic bag taped to the bracket. All I need to do is buy a double sided adhesive to re-install the bracket and plate if needed. I would not use screws and think Tesla service should be able to get the adhesive.

This process sucked. Was pissed that Tesla couldnt just do this for me. They swore up and down that it was required and they could not remove it, couldn't let me remove it on their premises, etc. They pointed me to some shitty tool on amazon that still sucked to use. The 3d printed socket looks like the way to go. Used a blowdryer to heat up the plate to remove it (cannot imagine you did it without heating it up, your fingers must have hurt). Total pain in the ass. So dumb that Tesla made it mandatory and wouldnt remove it.

Thanks to the great directions here, I got my front license plate off in about 15 minutes. One of the security bolts was tricky as I couldn't see it properly till I placed a ultra bright led flashlight nearby. The tape came off rather easily and I love the new uncluttered look now!

At Pebble Beach today:)

• Love
Reactions: singleview
At delivery on 10/6/2016 I was told that "there are 2 little screws to take off" but as we all found, it is next to impossible to do without special tools. Finally, after addressing a letter to Mr. Musk (or whoever reads his mail), the Tampa SC agreed to loosen the screws so that they could be only finger tight. They were not really just finger tight, but I finally got them off. The backing was very hard to pull off, but after constant pulling on one corner I finally got it loose, peeled off the tape and cleaned with with rubbing alcohol, and then applied some wax. Tesla's adds do not show a front license tag bracket, and I think that is deceptive advertising since Tesla won't remove the bracket and say it is necessary because of crash testing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Akikiki
At delivery on 10/6/2016 I was told that "there are 2 little screws to take off" but as we all found, it is next to impossible to do without special tools. Finally, after addressing a letter to Mr. Musk (or whoever reads his mail), the Tampa SC agreed to loosen the screws so that they could be only finger tight. They were not really just finger tight, but I finally got them off. The backing was very hard to pull off, but after constant pulling on one corner I finally got it loose, peeled off the tape and cleaned with with rubbing alcohol, and then applied some wax. Tesla's adds do not show a front license tag bracket, and I think that is deceptive advertising since Tesla won't remove the bracket and say it is necessary because of crash testing.
Not next to impossible at all, I removed mine in 10 minutes using zero tools, other than my hands. That's not true, I used a regular screwdriver first remove the regular screws holding the plate holder to the frame. After that though, no tools required. I just pulled the body colored plastic frame down and it popped right over those security screws without even breaking, then strong fingers to pry off the 3m piece. A little Goo Gone and she was perfect.

I initially tried sawing the 3M tape using dental floss, but gave up after a few seconds and just went for the caveman approach (by asking my bf to pull it off).

I did later remove those security screws with a Gator Grip, to send the TMC member who then made that 3D printed tool from them. The Gator Grip won't work with the frame in place, however. It's too big