Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate - does it actually affect Wh/mi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if I've missed previous data on this one - has anyone actually performed a controlled experiment testing the differing drag forces with and without a front license plate? Does a front plate affect the drag enough that your Wh/mi show noticeable increase? Is there any difference between the various front mount options (on nose, on grille below nose, etc.)? I live in MD where front plates are required, but I might be willing to risk a ticket if it makes a big difference in power usage.

I wonder about the legalities of producing a photorealistic decal, or "wrap" of your license plate to apply to the nose. It wouldn't help the looks issue, but would solve the aerodynamic and mounting issue.

At least in Texas that is considered not legal. It must be the physical plate given by the state. Likely the same in other states as well.

At least in Texas that is considered not legal. It must be the physical plate given by the state. Likely the same in other states as well.

It may not comply with the letter of the law, but as long as it was readable by license plate readers, it would comply with the spirit of the law, especially when the alternative is no plate at all. In other words, I'm guessing most cops would give you a "pass" on it as opposed to having no plate.

It may not comply with the letter of the law, but as long as it was readable by license plate readers, it would comply with the spirit of the law, especially when the alternative is no plate at all. In other words, I'm guessing most cops would give you a "pass" on it as opposed to having no plate.

It would act like no plate though in that if they wanted to pull you over or they already had pulled you over for speeding then they'd use that against you. I would love the vinyl plate option and hope state legislators start officially supporting it.

I wonder about the legalities of producing a photorealistic decal, or "wrap" of your license plate to apply to the nose. It wouldn't help the looks issue too much, but it would solve the aerodynamic and mounting issues.

It does not supply to 'radar signature' that is needed for the local municipalities to be able to more easily judge your speed and issue you a citation.

It would act like no plate though in that if they wanted to pull you over or they already had pulled you over for speeding then they'd use that against you. I would love the vinyl plate option and hope state legislators start officially supporting it.

I agree, but it may keep you from getting pulled over *just* for not having a front plate (which has happened to me...thank you DPS). If it could be approved, it can still be issued by either the state or any third part plate supplier such as MyPlates in Texas. It would have to be properly contoured for the car it was going on unless it's going to be on a perfectly flat surface tho.

It does not supply to 'radar signature' that is needed for the local municipalities to be able to more easily judge your speed and issue you a citation.

Yeah...too bad about that. :tongue:

It seems like the cool solution would be to modify the nose cone to fit a recessed plate and put a Lexan or other clear cover over the plate so that the front drag is not altered. This would be legal in Texas -- maybe other states have a different requirement.

In any event, I shed a tear each time I see a nice car with a front license plate.

I highly doubt you'd be able to measure any difference outside of a very sensitive wind-tunnel. Mounting it in front of the grill opening it might reduce Cd. On the nose-cone it will be negligible either way. There's simply not a lot of air flowing over the plate - the blunt shape of the bumper creates a high pressure zone that air flows over fairly readily.

It seems like the cool solution would be to modify the nose cone to fit a recessed plate and put a Lexan or other clear cover over the plate so that the front drag is not altered. This would be legal in Texas -- maybe other states have a different requirement.

In any event, I shed a tear each time I see a nice car with a front license plate.

I believe the guys who did the Center Console Insert (soflauthor ?) were working on something like this...