Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate falling off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I attached the front license plate as directed, the first time I had my car washed in a touchless car wash, the license plate fell off. I am not the first person who has this problem. Any suggestions? Since the car is new, I have asked Tesla to put it on but I still feel uncomfortable.

That body mount tape is very strong, unless you don't properly prep the surface before applying it. Sounds like the surface wasn't cleaned properly with IPA or equivalent before hand. You can buy more of the tape for $10, remove the old stuff, and clean everything properly and put it back on, and it will be ok.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-3614-15/d...1&keywords=3m+body+tape&qid=1607564847&sr=8-2

Or spend a boatload on a some other license plate mount.

• Love
Reactions: Pemple and Gizmo35
I gave in and did the license plate wrap here in kali...
but before that, I used the tesla front frame with suction cups
to display plate in known areas for parking tickets...

I still have it if anyone's interested in temp display of front plates?
pretty solid when suctioned on with lil moisture, said to be good to 70mph!

00q0q_hYyr4AlXyVw_0CI0jO_1200x900.jpg
00U0U_5dUtsCl1Yc9_0CI0lW_1200x900.jpg

Thank you all. I find it unbelievable that Tesla hasn't come up with good solution to this problem. I did thoroughly clean the surface with Isopropyl alcohol but the plate still fell off. A Tesla service person is scheduled to come and attach the plate but if it comes off again, I will get the snapplate.

Thank you all. I find it unbelievable that Tesla hasn't come up with good solution to this problem. I did thoroughly clean the surface with Isopropyl alcohol but the plate still fell off. A Tesla service person is scheduled to come and attach the plate but if it comes off again, I will get the snapplate.
Uhm, all Norwegian cars must have front plate, and it's not a known problem for it to fall off.
You probably got a poor adhesive kit or something like that

Reactions: XPsionic

The front plate bracket is curved. If you didn't install it at the proper height, it may not have bonded properly due to the curvature. If installed properly it is NOT going to fall off. I took one off a 3 and the only way to do it without taking the paint with it is to use fishing line, and then a lot of patience with removing the tape residue.

While I attached the front license plate as directed, the first time I had my car washed in a touchless car wash, the license plate fell off. I am not the first person who has this problem. Any suggestions? Since the car is new, I have asked Tesla to put it on but I still feel uncomfortable.

Just leave it off. 90%+ of all Tesla's in NJ/NY don't have front plates. I've had no plates on my cars for 8-9 years now and have only gotten one ticket many years ago which was just $65 anyway.

i did this because we have to have front plates in Illinois; No Po po have noticed.

Custom License Plates - Adhesive license plate replica
I went with this too. Looks good and easy to do. I received a fix it ticket many years ago for not having a front license plate. I don't want to deal with getting pulled over for whatever reason or being fined for whatever amount and going through the whatever process.

Hey guys, is the front plate Tesla bracket supposed to be drilled to the bumper, or just attached with double-sided tape? Hope the latter. But this reminded me I need to tell my SA to NOT drill the damn bumper, like most dealers do around here. I never have a front plate, but my wife likes to, so if the bracket is attached with double-sided tape, I'd use it. Otherwise, I'd just attach the plate itself with double-sided tape. My best solution would be a plate sticker (basically a sticker of my plate), which I saw once, but can't find any info. Oh well. Thank you.

Hey guys, is the front plate Tesla bracket supposed to be drilled to the bumper, or just attached with double-sided tape? Hope the latter. But this reminded me I need to tell my SA to NOT drill the damn bumper, like most dealers do around here. I never have a front plate, but my wife likes to, so if the bracket is attached with double-sided tape, I'd use it. Otherwise, I'd just attach the plate itself with double-sided tape. My best solution would be a plate sticker (basically a sticker of my plate), which I saw once, but can't find any info. Oh well. Thank you.

Tape, thank goodness!

We use front plates here in ME, but I haven't put the front one on. I figure that it's winter, snow, more frequent washing and the front plate would just be in the way. No problem yet (only 3 months) with plate not being on. The car looks better without it IMO. My friend has the SnapPlate by Living Tesla and he likes it.

Just leave it off. 90%+ of all Tesla's in NJ/NY don't have front plates. I've had no plates on my cars for 8-9 years now and have only gotten one ticket many years ago which was just $65 anyway.

Guess I’m the other 10% then. Don’t want the undue attention. It’s not the cost, it’s the time factor. I’d rather just attach the dang thing and not worry about it.

I attached mine just as it came with doublesided tape and have no issues. I pulled on it just now to test and feels like id pull the whole bumper off before the plate so it is pretty solid. It is also the best looking option for the front plate imo. All these other solutions and snap plates and stuff are hideous to me and not symmetrical. People seem to love those other solutions so I might be in the minority here.