Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a 'no-hole' plate on mine. While talking to the Tesla technician he mentioned that any plate that blocks grill airflow will reduce your range - and offered to install the factory plate holder in place of the no-hole plate holder. He explained that your Tesla tries to cool the system using just airflow through the grill, but if it can't get enough airflow, it starts up the fans to increase cooling (thereby using some of your battery charge). This makes total sense - so I would caution anybody about buying a plate holder that blocks the grill. My new factory holder is completely above the grill - I tossed the no-hole holder.

Model-Y-Front-Plate (1).jpg Model-Y-Front-Plate (3).jpg Model-Y-Front-Plate (4).jpg
Just finished designing (starting with a Model X version) a front plate holder for my Model Y. Does the same job as the other $100 + options except since I printed it myself, far, far cheaper! I even added a securing back to the part that goes through the fins (not in this picture) It's currently printed in PLA temporarily since PLA is adversely affected by UV (will make it weaker). I'll probably print it in ABS and see how that works out. When mounted it's very secure! The alignment of the fins is a little off, but I find that adds to the tighter fit.

Reactions: Rufus1349
View attachment 561096 View attachment 561097 View attachment 561100
Just finished designing (starting with a Model X version) a front plate holder for my Model Y. Does the same job as the other $100 + options except since I printed it myself, far, far cheaper! I even added a securing back to the part that goes through the fins (not in this picture) It's currently printed in PLA temporarily since PLA is adversely affected by UV (will make it weaker). I'll probably print it in ABS and see how that works out. When mounted it's very secure! The alignment of the fins is a little off, but I find that adds to the tighter fit.

are you planning to sell or would you share the STL? Thanks

I installed a 'no-hole' plate on mine. While talking to the Tesla technician he mentioned that any plate that blocks grill airflow will reduce your range - and offered to install the factory plate holder in place of the no-hole plate holder. He explained that your Tesla tries to cool the system using just airflow through the grill, but if it can't get enough airflow, it starts up the fans to increase cooling (thereby using some of your battery charge). This makes total sense - so I would caution anybody about buying a plate holder that blocks the grill. My new factory holder is completely above the grill - I tossed the no-hole holder.
That's good info, I do have a plate holder ($10 off eBay) that covers the grill airflow. Will take it off to check that.

Reactions: Rufus1349
Although I would love to make some money on this I really don't have the ability to do so. I've started to upload the files to Thingiverse for others to print and modify as they feel.

TESLA Front License Holder by Poncherelly

If you have a printer, have at er' ;)

That's good info, I do have a plate holder ($10 off eBay) that covers the grill airflow. Will take it off to check that.

This being the case, I'll see about a small redesign of the plate holder I just posted to Thingiverse. It won't take much effort to raise the plate higher to prevent blocking any part of the grill.

Although I would love to make some money on this I really don't have the ability to do so. I've started to upload the files to Thingiverse for others to print and modify as they feel.

TESLA Front License Holder by Poncherelly

If you have a printer, have at er' ;)

****ing rock star! thank you.

Any concerns of the bolt ends damaging your front bumper?

Also, thanks for making the pieces solid compared to the model X version

Last edited:
****ing rock star! thank you.

Any concerns of the bolt ends damaging your front bumper?

Also, thanks for making the pieces solid compared to the model X version

I'm concerned about those bolts also. I'm considering moving the plate a little further forward but I'm not 100% sure yet. I may just add a clear bumper nipple to the front of the car to prevent the plate from bottoming out, if it even would, but sticking something to the bumper is what I'm trying to get away from. Still undecided at the moment ...

Ya I read someone else not liking the cross support version so figured I would go with a solid one to start and if I felt like it, would experiment with other styles. Maybe ;)

I took a look at this option but have some concerns. It fastens to the fins like every other one however the part that holds the plate looks to be right up against the front bumper. I can see this vibrating up and down slightly and slowly wearing on the front bumper. If anyone already has one, it might be worth posting pics to either show this isn't an issue since there is enough space or show that this might in fact be an issue and warn others about this option. Also, there is that issue with it covering the front grill that others have mentioned. Other options, including the one I posted on Thingiverse covers the front grill also but still allows for air to travel under the plate not blocking the full amount of air.

I like the low-profile factory mount. It fits tight and aero. Easy to clean... no special cleaning! (It uses double stick tape can. WD-40 will take off the gunk if you decide to remove.)

The problem I have with bulky mounts are: (1) If it falls off you'll run it over and destroy the underside of the car, (2) easy to damage the plate since it's exposed to people messing with it, and (3) dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists if there was an accident (it's like holding out a knife in the bicycle lane / crosswalk (marked and unmarked) when most drivers cross the limit line/sidewalk into others' right-of-way. <-- sorry for the rant.)

Last edited: