Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: stephenburns1
Has anybody tried a tow hook mount for the license plate? I had one for my BMW (after a cop gave me a ticket for not having a front license plate… jerk) and loved it.

The Platypus License Plate Mount for 2017-2020 Tesla Model 3

They don't have one for the Model Y, which could be a problem. If one isn't developed by the time I get my plates, it'll be too late.

That looks pretty odd though. Currently going without front license plate, but I get a fix it ticket, I'll probably just get the two long screws method with is $11 shipped, as linked to above.

So how do you mount a front license plate on a model y?

If it's the same as the Model 3, I like the factory solution the best for the following reasons:

1) Looks right
2) Super light-weight and aerodynamic
3) Doesn't block airflow to cabin cooling and battery cooling heat exchangers
4) Durable
5) Free

Sometimes I think people are looking to fix a problem that exists only in their minds.

If it's the same as the Model 3, I like the factory solution the best for the following reasons:

1) Looks right
4) Durable
5) Free

Sometimes I think people are looking to fix a problem that exists only in their minds.
I was a Model 3 "free the front" anti-license plate activist until I got a fix-it ticket while parked in SF.

$210 or $10 if I put it on. My principals clearly have a price and I mounted it using the Tesla-supplied method. It works great and I've grown to like the looks. The Model 3 (and now Model Y) front ends are kinda plain and can benefit from some adornment.

I also have the piece of mind that I'm not giving law enforcement a reason to target me. If two people are driving 75 mph on the freeway right next to each other, perhaps the other guy gets targeted because he has no front plate. Right now, the less interaction I have with the police, the better AFAIC. They got better things to do.

1) Looks right
4) Durable
5) Free

I agree 100%. Especially #3.

And, with all the PPF/Ceramic/Console Wrap etc, #5 as well, haha!!

That looks pretty odd though. Currently going without front license plate, but I get a fix it ticket, I'll probably just get the two long screws method with is $11 shipped, as linked to above.
Did that and I'm happy with the result.
IMG_20200606_124837.jpg

1) Looks right

Not on the Model S it doesn't look right. It looks awful. It's clearly not meant to be there. I'll have to inspect a Model 3 close up, but my sense is that it won't look good on the Y at all.

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D