Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since no front plate is a fix-it ticket violation here, I plan to use Poncherelly's mount temporarily when I need to get it signed off by a police officer. Its either that or I buy the vinyl plate wrap for about $80...
WRT the concern about the screws hitting the bumper ... since this is more of a temp holder for you, don't use the top part of the print. The bottom should hold the plate well enough for city driving and will give you even more clearance in front of the bumper.

Since no front plate is a fix-it ticket violation here, I plan to use Poncherelly's mount temporarily when I need to get it signed off by a police officer. Its either that or I buy the vinyl plate wrap for about $80...
What happens if you get the fix-it ticket signed off, then remove the plate and get another ticket? Are the penalties steeper or do they not keep track?

If I had the option for the wrap in NJ, I'd be all over it. No equipment to worry about falling off or scratching the front, plus removable but more importantly no additional drag created/uses the car's aerodynamics as designed.

In CA, I have the license plate wrap on my 2019 Model 3 which I got last year. Program was extended to Jan 2021. I know from inside sources that they would be extending it further to 2023. I am waiting for my vanity plate on my 2021 Y and once I am done with that I would order the wrap for my Y also.

In CA, I have the license plate wrap on my 2019 Model 3 which I got last year. Program was extended to Jan 2021. I know from inside sources that they would be extending it further to 2023. I am waiting for my vanity plate on my 2021 Y and once I am done with that I would order the wrap for my Y also.
Don’t do what I did and place the license wrap in the middle of the bumper from the top and bottom. It blocked the radar and my Auto Pilot was intermittent. Had to remove it and get a new license wrap, this time installing it a lot lower. Now Auto Pilot works fine.

Fred

Don’t do what I did and place the license wrap in the middle of the bumper from the top and bottom. It blocked the radar and my Auto Pilot was intermittent. Had to remove it and get a new license wrap, this time installing it a lot lower. Now Auto Pilot works fine.

Fred

I put my license wrap on my 2019 M3 in May 2019 and never had any issues. Instructions clearly say where to put it.

Those who don't want to stick the factory plate holder to the front bumper can look at this solution. No-Hole Tesla Model 3 or Model Y Front License Plate | Etsy

This is not that easy to remove and reinstall like other temporary solutions discussed here, but you can install it securely and remove(and reinstall) it without any holes or adhesives leftover on your bumper.

Also available on eBay by other sellers. I didn't get from either, instead went with two toggle bolts from Lowe's and installed them myself. But I feel that the kit and the instructions should help if you are not into DIY much. They are selling the same thing. I guess stainless steel toggle bolts with some outer coating(black), instructions, and some felt pads.

We used Thatgrin.com model Y mounting bracket.
CC80B283-7DE1-45A9-B95F-F9B59E87F51B.jpeg
18D3A180-7363-4187-B086-77101080EF91.jpeg
18D3A180-7363-4187-B086-77101080EF91.jpeg

Because regular holders sit lower. This is the wrong spot, it needs to be down lower by the bottom edge. Will take a picture of where it is when I get home from Hawaii.

I placed mine much lower 1/4” above the lower sharp bend. The vinyl plate sits roughly 1/2” above where the plate would be using the factory mount. I verified autopilot operation on a test drive in accordance with the vendor’s installation instructions. Verified that the radar can see under the car to the car ahead. It is a wonderful product.

C48DBF7E-4C9E-465A-91BD-5DE9861A6D5B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: mnsweeps