Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate frame adhesive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I screwd up sticking the front license plate frame on my M3 and now the adhesive has a bunch of dirt/crap over it so it's no good anymore. I was wondering if it's recommended or easy to remove the adhesive and replace it with my own double sided adhesive. If so, what kind of double sided adhesive should I use?

OR, do you think Tesla will just give me a replacement if I go in to a service center?

3M adhesive tape... I bet if you stopped by a SC they'll give you an entire bracket.
I figured stripping the old adhesive off the plate holder would be a pain so I went to the local SC to see what they could do. The technician at first attempted to strip and replace the adhesive, but apparently, a guy who I'm guessing was his manager, saw him doing that and asked him "what the heck are you doing?" In the end, they just gave me a new plate holder and installed it for me. As for my old plate holder, the manager showed it to me and explained what the technician was attempting... and judging by the looks of the remaining adhesive on the old plate holder, it looked like my initial suspicion, that removing the adhesive would be a pain, was accurate.

I figured stripping the old adhesive off the plate holder would be a pain so I went to the local SC to see what they could do. The technician at first attempted to strip and replace the adhesive, but apparently, a guy who I'm guessing was his manager, saw him doing that and asked him "what the heck are you doing?" In the end, they just gave me a new plate holder and installed it for me. As for my old plate holder, the manager showed it to me and explained what the technician was attempting... and judging by the looks of the remaining adhesive on the old plate holder, it looked like my initial suspicion, that removing the adhesive would be a pain, was accurate.
I've heard that the 3M adhesive tape is very sticky and permanent if the surface application is clean and without paint protection film. You get one shot with those stick-on plate holders. For those looking to remove it, most detail shops that apply paint protection film to the front bumper will remove those holders for the installation. That adhesive Tesla provides can play havoc with the PPF and they don't recommend it. I'm still curious about the colored holder for M3.

Reactions: TonyPham
I don't have the specific links handy, but I've read about it in multiple threads. It makes sense to me because the efficiency of the Tesla drivetrain is very dependent upon keeping those batteries and motors cool. I'm not aware of any short-term damage anyone has experienced (other than the toggle bolts digging into the plastic). Tesla uses the A/C system to cool the batteries and motors and blocking the cool air intake will likely cause everything to run hotter resulting in accelerated long-term wear. The more the car tries to cool itself because of the obstruction of airflow, the lower the overall efficiency. Have you ever heard the cooling fans making all of that noise when charging or on warm days? That's the car trying to get those temperatures down. Imagine how it would feel to ride in the Tesla on a hot day with 40% of the interior A/C vents blocked o_O Airflow and cooling efficiency makes a big difference!

Reactions: TonyPham
I don't have the specific links handy, but I've read about it in multiple threads. It makes sense to me because the efficiency of the Tesla drivetrain is very dependent upon keeping those batteries and motors cool. I'm not aware of any short-term damage anyone has experienced (other than the toggle bolts digging into the plastic). Tesla uses the A/C system to cool the batteries and motors and blocking the cool air intake will likely cause everything to run hotter resulting in accelerated long-term wear. The more the car tries to cool itself because of the obstruction of airflow, the lower the overall efficiency. Have you ever heard the cooling fans making all of that noise when charging or on warm days? That's the car trying to get those temperatures down. Imagine how it would feel to ride in the Tesla on a hot day with 40% of the interior A/C vents blocked o_O Airflow and cooling efficiency makes a big difference!
I have that same bracket and does it block some airflow, yes. But 40%? probably not even close to that. When air hits a flat object like the plate it wraps around so air is flowing behind the plate. Has anyone done wind tunnel testing to see how much air flow it reduces? My guess no way and not enough to matter unless you live in a very warm climate.

I ended up this one since my Tesla one fell off within a month. I made the mistake of getting ceramic pro installed before the front stick on plate holder.

Reactions: 355rockit
Interesting! Did you test drive a M3 or MS? I've only seen adhesive type in black plastic for Model 3.
I took 2 Model 3s for a test drive about a week apart before pulling the trigger. Was going to try a performance but decided against it and getting spoiled vs my dual motor. I'm pretty sure these were M3s with the color matched plate holders at the Austin TX location. I didn't look at any S models as I preferred the 3s interior but now that I think of it they did have X,S,3 all parked in the same spot. But I'm a fairly certain these were M3s. Maybe I can get my buddy who lives there to swing through and check.

I was there on vacation and decided to kill some time taking my first Tesla ride. 67k later it was my most expensive vacation to date

Last edited: