Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate holder.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be premature since no one has taken delivery yet but I'm curious what others are planning to do about mounting a front license plate on the Model Y. Texas requires front license plates :( and I'm not exactly thrilled that the only option Tesla has provided in the past is a bracket that sticks to the bumper with double-faced tape. I really don't like sticking stuff to my car's paint, especially if it can hold dirt or harm paint. Has anyone found a model Y alternative? Does anyone know if any third party companies have Model Y brackets available yet? I know there are several alternatives for the Model 3 and I'm hoping they will work for the Model Y since most of them mount to the lower grill and the grills do seem similar between the 3 and Y. Thoughts?

Reactions: TonyPham
I would say more like 'Texas charges you a tax if you get pulled over for something else and you don't have a front plate' :)

It isn't enforced in Austin at all - about half the M3s I see have one. If I travel I put it on the dash.

I’m not going to risk it. Houston cops aren’t that lenient. I know people that have been ticketed for not having a front plate and I came close years ago with just a warning. I’ve seen one bracket so far called Snap Plate from a company called Living Tesla but it is labeled “coming soon”. Guess most manufacturers are waiting to get their hands on a model Y to confirm the fit of their products.

I preordered one of the Snap Plates anyway. I'm not going to drill my grill, and I've read good things about the Snap Plates here in the Model 3 forums, so I figured what the heck. And they were super responsive to an order issue I was having so that made me feel even better about the purchase. I'll post a review once I get it (and the Y of course).

there's always... :D
s-l300.jpg

Here in Ontario Canada front plate is also required. I would like to see EV plates (we now have green vehicle plates but 2) that are only required to go on the rear. One would think it can not be more aerodynamic (greener) with a front plate slapped on like a billboard.

This topic has been discussed a lot in the Model 3 forum. Some people have been cited for not having a front plate.

Three options:

1. Use the OEM taped on system (That's what I do. I doubt I'll ever remove it, but that's apparently possible to do with some dental floss).
2. Put a clear sheet between the tape and the car (purchasable somewhere).
3. Spend $90-$200 to buy a after market plate holder (like SnapPlate).

This topic has been discussed a lot in the Model 3 forum. Some people have been cited for not having a front plate.

Three options:

1. Use the OEM taped on system (That's what I do. I doubt I'll ever remove it, but that's apparently possible to do with some dental floss).
2. Put a clear sheet between the tape and the car (purchasable somewhere).
3. Spend $90-$200 to buy a after market plate holder (like SnapPlate).
Or if you're only concerned about aerodynamics flow or the visual lines of the car, Californians can get one of the officially approved decal license plates. Of course, this isn't the solution for those who don't want to glue something on their bumper.

• Informative
Reactions: mgraff
The Model Y has a front tow connector right? Couldn't you just get something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BVV3DV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have that for my Outback, and it works just fine. Sure, it's offset, but it seems really secure and looks nice. For the Model Y, you would just need the right length bolt that goes in.
I had that (not for a Tesla) however the thread seems to be different for each vehicle (brand), and it needs to be made for the exact vehicle not to block cameras, ultrasonic sensors, etc. to work properly.