Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate holder.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have an electric front plate holder?

What kind?

Electric retractable ?
Example: Hideaway Front License Plate (Motorized)

Electric digital ?
Example: Digital License Plates Are Ready to Make Your Life Easier

There are several that have the retractable. Not necessarily Y, yet. But a few S, 3, and some X. The removable ones are pretty quick if you really need it. I'm not sold on the retractable ones myself for a number of reasons; to be discussed at your leisure.

As for digital there are digital rear plates. But to my knowledge they are not available for front use; nor in Virginia.

What kind?

Electric retractable ?

Electric digital ?

There are several that have the retractable. Not necessarily Y, yet. But a few S, 3, and some X. The removable ones are pretty quick if you really need it. I'm not sold on the retractable ones myself for a number of reasons; to be discussed at your leisure.

As for digital there are digital rear plates. But to my knowledge they are not available for front use; nor in Virginia.

The electric retractable one. I was thinking about getting one myself. Any particular reason why you don't like them?

The electric retractable one. I was thinking about getting one myself. Any particular reason why you don't like them?

Much of it has to do with where and how it has to be mounted due the the nose cone design of the Tesla. In some cars you have a nice slotted grill you can tuck it away in. Which is somewhat cool. On the Tesla you have to mount it under the car and at somewhat of an weird angle. It's going to stick down below the bottom floor pan and it now one of the lowest objects under the car for things to hit or get caught on.

Nice find. t looks like a good option. Can't find any reviews online yet though. Would be interested if there's a way to lock it with a different screw.

Hi there, the kit comes with hex screws that can replace the thumbscrew as a theft deterrent. It will require a hex tool that comes with the kit to lock it into place. Here's a video of it in action.

I'm taking delivery of my Y next Saturday and this is on my list of things to buy (since I don't want to use the adhesive mount). Are these mounts SERIOUSLY over $100?! Is this what I'm going to have to pay to get a front license plate mount?

I hate to sound cheap, and I know these products are high quality products that required some design, but damn... I kind of figured I could pick up something for $40-50... something like this: 904-530 License Plate Relocation by Cobalt | MossMiata

I have no plans to remove it after I put it on. I don't need anything motorized or fancy...I just need to mount my license plate...

I'm taking delivery of my Y next Saturday and this is on my list of things to buy (since I don't want to use the adhesive mount). Are these mounts SERIOUSLY over $100?! Is this what I'm going to have to pay to get a front license plate mount?

I hate to sound cheap, and I know these products are high quality products that required some design, but damn... I kind of figured I could pick up something for $40-50... something like this: 904-530 License Plate Relocation by Cobalt | MossMiata

I have no plans to remove it after I put it on. I don't need anything motorized or fancy...I just need to mount my license plate...
If your state (TX) requires a front license plate then Tesla will provide the front plate holder. It will be inside the vehicle, probably in the rear hatch storage area. The Tesla plate holder attaches to the front bumper cover with 3M double sided tape. Some Tesla owners don't want anything applied on the painted bumper cover. Others know that they only risk a ticket when they drive in a certain county or city within their state so they want a front plate holder that is easily removable. The Tesla license plate holder is fine although if you plan to use an automated car wash the tape may not hold in place.

If you use hardware to attach the plate holder to the grill the grill could be damaged in a minor parking incident, vandalism or theft. Replacing the grill will cost much more than $100, that is the rational behind the SnapPlate. The SnapPlate license plate holder attaches to the front grill, can be secured with a security screw. You can easily remove the SnapPlate when needed. When too much force is applied to the SnapPlate it will break away so that the grill is not damaged. Replacement parts are inexpensive. SnapPlate can be purchased from the EveryAmp web site (formerly LivingTesla.) SnapPlate Model Y Removable Front License Plate Mount

Also, see QuickBandit: https://www.1975creations.com/ See ThatGrin: ThatGrin.com | Slipstream Bracket No Drilling Front License Plate Mounting Solution for Tesla Model Y

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbra
Ordered Ottoplate yesterday for my 2021 MY LR after learning from here that they have the locking screw which is better than nothing. But the installation video's Tesla plate looks bigger than the one that came with my car . Will report back on the fitment once I received it.

My Tesla came with some weird plastic plate holder that almost hugs front bumper contour. And it had 3 lines of double tape on it.
So that is exactly what I glued to my bumper. Hope it won't fall off. So no holes.

I went without a front plate for awhile but I decided to break down and buy the SNAP Plate. It was easy to install and now I have no worries. It doesn't stick out far and it keeps the center of the front bumper safe from road debris. I am a satisfied customer for SNAP Plate.. :)

Alright guys, if you're going to get the Ottoplate for Model Y, you might want to hold off until a solution is uncovered. I ordered the kit and it does not look like it fit the 2021 license plate at least the template does not. Take a look below. I just emailed Ottosteer to see if they have another solution.

Attachments

• 20210618_164607.jpg
    20210618_164607.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 121
Alright guys, if you're going to get the Ottoplate for Model Y, you might want to hold off until a solution is uncovered. I ordered the kit and it does not look like it fit the 2021 license plate at least the template does not. Take a look below. I just emailed Ottosteer to see if they have another solution.
I ordered one as well and it worked perfectly fine. The template I have is much smaller, clips to the oem plate holder, and is white plastic (in the installation video it is black). You might have received the wrong part. I hope you get it resolved soon.

I ordered one as well and it worked perfectly fine. The template I have is much smaller, clips to the oem plate holder, and is white plastic (in the installation video it is black). You might have received the wrong part. I hope you get it resolved soon.
Yeah, I contacted them. They're reviewing my photos and they believe they sent me the wrong parts for the M3 vs the MY. I thought the M3 would be similar but maybe not.

What kind?

Electric retractable ?

Electric digital ?

Thank you!