Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a front license plate bracket in car, but no instructions for mounting. Hate to sound so stupid, but are there any instructions for mounting the thing? (Like, where, exactly does it go?). Thanks

Found a front license plate bracket in car, but no instructions for mounting. Hate to sound so stupid, but are there any instructions for mounting the thing? (Like, where, exactly does it go?). Thanks

When I got my 3, they installed it for free at the SC. I thought that they drilled some holes to install it so I had the mobile tech install it on my Y when he came out to replace my charger port door. When he came out, he asked me for the front plate bracket and I said that I didn't have it. He found it in the small trunk and then he told me that it's just taped on. Since he was there already, I asked him to install it. Cost me $20.

This probably doesn't help you install it, but does tell you it'll cost you $20 for them to do it.

This may help.

Last edited:
Well, I have been trying to decide how to handle the front plate issue. The state requires it. I was tempted to go with the "wait until they yell at me or get caught" approach. I wasn't fond of the idea of spending $120+ on a front plate bracket. A thank you for Robocheme for the link to the video. I finally received the paperwork from Tesla (took 20 days) so I could get the car registered. Once registered, I had to go get it inspected. Most of the places want you to leave the car and they will drive it in, but I doubted they would know how to drive it. I did practice putting it in Valet mode, just in case. I found a local 1 man garage shop that is an inspection station. He had no issues handling this. Matter of fact, this was his 3rd Tesla, that he has inspected. Sadly, he said that the front plate had to be on the car in order to pass inspection. So I cleaned off the spot and used the tape (as shown in the video) and attached the front plate. Problem solved. Now my car is legal.

Today, we put a Thatgrin.com model Y holder on. They also have holders for the X and 3. It was easy to install and can be taken off for car washes and shows if you’d like. The bracket is made of metal and is sturdy. It’s made in Colorado by a family of Tesla owners themselves. Definitely worth checking out if you’re still shopping!

10CA1EA0-079B-49AF-B5BC-CBA4C7BCECA8.jpeg 2732F1F2-33F6-43E3-859E-E829C44A4BDD.jpeg

Today, we put a Thatgrin.com model Y holder on. They also have holders for the X and 3. It was easy to install and can be taken off for car washes and shows if you’d like. The bracket is made of metal and is sturdy. It’s made in Colorado by a family of Tesla owners themselves. Definitely worth checking out if you’re still shopping!
Looks good. You must have gotten a prototype though since they are just taking pre-orders now for the Model Y version..