Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the platypus- mounts to your tow hook and is on the side which everyone knows makes you cooler
A8DF6B70-735A-48D8-A379-6DC384CAFF86.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteM3P- and Adam3
I used the Tesla provided adhesive mount for two years with no problems, I’d go with that unless you really don’t want to stick the front plate holder on permanently. The 3M adhesive involved is equivalent to one cyclists have used for years to glue on tubular tires, which I promise have to deal with a lot more sideways force than a license plate holder.

In CA its mandatory to install front license plate. My Model Y got delivered in Sept/2021 and I was waiting to receive the license plate holder and in the mean time I got violation ticket from Patrol. I would need to submit the proof of front license plate after I fix front license plate. Sure, you can be lucky for years in CA without having one. But front license plate is required in CA.

Just got a ticket from those meter wo(man) for not having a front license plate. Maybe I should’ve put change in the meter in the first place. Lol!

No front license plate: $25.
Expired meter: $75

Purchased the Ottosteer quick release.

Reactions: mvp2ny
Had my stick on plte on my 3 for 2 yrs. Weather now bitter cold in Md. Tape first let loose on one side of plate and lost adhesive. Then I tapped snow pile parking and rest of tape and plate fell off. Not sure I would depend on tape holding plate in very cold climates. Deciding between snapp and quick plate.

In CA its mandatory to install front license plate. My Model Y got delivered in Sept/2021 and I was waiting to receive the license plate holder and in the mean time I got violation ticket from Patrol. I would need to submit the proof of front license plate after I fix front license plate. Sure, you can be lucky for years in CA without having one. But front license plate is required in CA.

The license plate holder was not somewhere in the vehicle when delivered?

Had my stick on plte on my 3 for 2 yrs. Weather now bitter cold in Md. Tape first let loose on one side of plate and lost adhesive. Then I tapped snow pile parking and rest of tape and plate fell off. Not sure I would depend on tape holding plate in very cold climates. Deciding between snapp and quick plate.
Went with the Bandit. Got a discount thru one of the websites marketing it. Took 5 mins to install and looks strong. Fitment looks really professional. Checking the adhesive plates on teslas around town they look crooked or tilted upwards so I'm happy with the bandit even though a friend offered me another tape version.

The adhesive tape used is likely 3M VHB (very high bond) tape. It has been used for years in the automotive industry to apply trim, appliques, etc. It is VERY strong when applied correctly to a properly prepared (...very clean) surface. I keep a bunch of this stuff (rolls, pads) around as a handy fix it item. It is good to let the tape/adhesive set up for a day before applying any force to the bond.

Bonus hint--3M makes an adhesive promoter for this system. Comes in small packets with a small damp sponge inside. After you prep the surfaces, you apply the adhesive promoter and wait a bit. This takes the adhesion to the next level.
I installed the factory 3M tape mount bracket and it is very secure on my 2020 MYLR. I used a little clear rubbing compound, buffed and then alcohol to clean the area. That is the key to a strong bond. The mount is contoured to fit the exact profile of the curve in the front bumper. Good news, no holes to drill, and if you hate it, you can take it off with fishing line, like a saw behind it.

The only reason to have a front plate is to provide a nice reflectorized flat surface for bouncing speed laser off of. That’s why the DMV requires it - it makes collecting even more of your money that much easier.

IMO don’t give ‘em an easy target. Nobody else seems to put them on Teslas around these parts so I haven’t bothered doing it either. Sure it might give some grumpy police officer a reason to stop me but I doubt it. I don’t drive like a jerk and am seldom in a hurry because I plan ahead. It’s a calculated risk. There are ALWAYS better targets than an older guy in a Tesla (kids speeding, weaving and driving like imbeciles in riced-out Hondas with loud exhausts abound - gotta be like shooting fish in a barrel - more of a sure thing and less of a pain than going after someone like me…)

Worst case I figure a fix-it-ticket is easier to deal with and less expensive than getting popped for inadvertently speeding and I’m not about to make that easier for them.

Reactions: CheapBastid
It is, but I haven't run a front plate on most of my cars. Mostly because I think they look terrible, but one side benefit is that it may provide a way out of a red light ticket if you ever get one. The police have the burden of proving who was driving the vehicle at the time the vehicle violated the law. Without a front plate, it's much more difficult to prove the photo of the front of the car and driver is actually that car that violated the law. Not sure how this plays out in court in practice, but If it gives me an out, I'll take the 1 front plate violation ever I've gotten in 30 years of driving. Both times I've ever received a red light camera ticket was in a truck that had the front plate. One was me when I didn't see the light turn yellow because I was trying to change lanes and caught the red by 0.01 seconds. The other was when my mom borrowed the truck. Got out of this one as the cops could not prove who was driving and it clearly was not me in the photo and I have no obligation to tell them who it was.

Anybody use TesFram license plate holder? If so how was it? I read the specs and it is made out of lighweight aluminum unlike the Snap Plate brand which is only 3D printed
I like the design of snapplate but its only 3D print.
67C4030F-92E4-4A28-9F32-F48207EF82B6.jpeg
23AAC7D6-F789-47DA-A905-A2FD11BD1459.jpeg