Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my new Model 3 a month ago, and just got my CA license plates yesterday. I already put on the rear license plate, but am surprised there are no holes in the front bumper to screw on the front license plate.

Instead, the car came with a front license plate holder that one is supposed to stick onto the front bumper with adhesive, and then screw the license plate onto that holder.

That seems rather flimsy to me. Adhesive does not always stick forever. I am afraid it will fall off, or that someone might pull it off?

What are people's experiences with that front license plate holder? Any suggestions for putting it on? Has anyone had problems with it? Does it stay on, in all weather conditions?

Thanks in advance.

oh man sorry this is old news.....numerous posts about it......but to keep it easy, you need to buy a mount. Some of them mount on the fan blades in the front, but you risk damage to the blades (I speak from experience). I recently replaced my mount with this one which does not mount on the blades. I think it's awesome.

Instead, the car came with a front license plate holder that one is supposed to stick onto the front bumper with adhesive, and then screw the license plate onto that holder.

Many around here don't like the idea of using a front tag holder that attaches with tape.

I opted for a Quick Bandit license plate mount. Others use one named SnapPlate.

Both mount to the grill area at the bottom of the front bumper. Both are easy to install and remove and also allow you to wash behind the plate when necessary.

Reactions: maiki
Just don’t put it on? Been driving in Southern California for 54 years and never installed a front plate on any of the cars my wife or I had. Never caused a problem. YMMV.
You can get a ticket for it. Once my front plate was stolen, and I got a ticket for no front plate. DMV would not replace just the front plate, I had to get a new set with a new plate #, So you may have been lucky so far, but may get a ticket.

Many around here don't like the idea of using a front tag holder that attaches with tape.

I opted for a Quick Bandit license plate mount. Others use one named SnapPlate.

Both mount to the grill area at the bottom of the front bumper. Both are easy to install and remove and also allow you to wash behind the plate when necessary.
How do they mount to the bumper, with no holes there?

The adhesive tape used is likely 3M VHB (very high bond) tape. It has been used for years in the automotive industry to apply trim, appliques, etc. It is VERY strong when applied correctly to a properly prepared (...very clean) surface. I keep a bunch of this stuff (rolls, pads) around as a handy fix it item. It is good to let the tape/adhesive set up for a day before applying any force to the bond.

Bonus hint--3M makes an adhesive promoter for this system. Comes in small packets with a small damp sponge inside. After you prep the surfaces, you apply the adhesive promoter and wait a bit. This takes the adhesion to the next level.

I wrassled with this too a couple months ago. Started counting Teslas with front plates vs Teslas without front plates. Seemed about 50-50. Decided to mount the plate more out of root training than any other reason. Was maybe an 1/8” off center which is probably egregious to some of the car jocks on TMC, but it‘s not something that sticks out to a non know-it-all. The bond has stuck really strong and if it falls off at some point I will probably take that as a sign from the gods that I should be in the 50% going without a front plate. I used this youtube tutorial to make sure I understood the steps properly: Front license plate installation .

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and maiki
How do they mount to the bumper, with no holes there?

The Quick Bandit uses fingers that clamp on to the grill. Then you tighten a screw (hex key) to lock it on. It should be easy to find a few YouTube videos that show a Quick Bandit installation.

I used the Quick Bandit for my Maryland tag the first three months I had the Model 3. I took the tag off before the car went in for PPF (in August) and haven't put it back on yet. And my wife has stopped nagging me about putting it back on. ;-)

I think most feel a cop would never pull you over for not having a front tag installed but if they pull you over for something else then you will probably get a "missing tag" ticket. The other day I read a post here where someone didn't have their front tag installed and was going to be parking in a city that employs meter readers. They were worried about getting a "missing tag" ticket from the meter reader.

Reactions: Gasaraki and maiki
oh man sorry this is old news.....numerous posts about it......but to keep it easy, you need to buy a mount. Some of them mount on the fan blades in the front, but you risk damage to the blades (I speak from experience). I recently replaced my mount with this one which does not mount on the blades. I think it's awesome.
$139 for a license plate holder? Highway robbery!

What are people's experiences with that front license plate holder? Any suggestions for putting it on? Has anyone had problems with it? Does it stay on, in all weather conditions?
I received a fix it ticket years ago for no front plate, and from then on my wife wants us to have a front plate. Since I wasn't thrilled with the Tesla approach we with with https://licenseplatewrap.com/ We both like it and very easy to apply.

Reactions: kindofblue

I searched this on TMC when I was considering my license plate options and there really was a lot of stuff on it. But I grew frustrated after going through about 4 or 5 long threads, because they all basically assumed that installing the Tesla-provided plateholder was a non-starter, impossible, and off the table. Maybe I should have worked my way through a few more threads…

Just don’t put it on? Been driving in Southern California for 54 years and never installed a front plate on any of the cars my wife or I had. Never caused a problem. YMMV.
I got a ticket in SF for $171 for not having a front plate. My car was a year old, I couldn't find the second plate and had to order one from DMV, what a hassle. Just got my Tesla 3 - looking for front plate holder.

What is the point of having a "quick release" front plate holder that can be easily snatched by anyone if your car is parked on the street? I hate the idea of using the tape on type, and want something that isn't funky looking. Help.

The SnapPlate lets you choose - either a 'quick release' install for those who just put it on when they "have to"; and a permanent install that can't be easily snatched. The permanent install only takes an extra 3 minutes, so you can use it for your trips to SF, etc.

Just got my Tesla 3 - looking for front plate holder.

I bought the Quick Bandit plate for my Model 3. I thought it was crazy expensive, but there's no way I was using that double-sided tape.

I've heard about another called the Snap Plate. It doesn't cost as much as the Quick Bandit.

The Quick Bandit (and probably the Snap Plate) come with an Allen wrench that can be used to "lock" the bracket. Anyone wanting to steal your plate would have to lay on the ground and have the correct size Allen wrench to remove it.

Reactions: Amudar
I use the plate holder from OttoSteer. It uses the plastic plate holder that comes with the 3 but instead of using the tape it mounts with brackets that connect under the car. It can be removed using thumb screws but I used the optional Allen wrench install because I am not planning on removing it. I also used a bit of non permanent loctite on the Allen screws to make it a bit harder to quickly get off. Because it uses the included Tesla plate holder and fits flush to the bumper unless you really looked you couldn't tell it wasn't taped on.