Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recommendations for a front license plate holder? I see a wide range of options (and prices). Looking for one that doesn't involve drilling. The Quick Bandit seems to be nice, but pricey.

I live in Maryland. It seems to be a bit unclear if a front license plate is required (or just needs to be available)? Anyone have experience with this and know what's legal?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve used snap plate for a year now and have been very happy with it.

SnapPlate Model Y Removable Front License Plate Mount

That's good to hear. Any worries that it might come off or be stolen? Did you also consider the Quick Bandit? Just wondering how the two compare.

Also, does anyone know the official law in Maryland regarding a front plate? I'm going to contact the MVA and local police to inquire...

That's good to hear. Any worries that it might come off or be stolen? Did you also consider the Quick Bandit? Just wondering how the two compare.

Also, does anyone know the official law in Maryland regarding a front plate? I'm going to contact the MVA and local police to inquire...

Front plates are required for all vehicles where they are issued (so not for motorcycles, trailers, etc). Enforcement is spotty at best. If the police want a reason to stop you, you've given them one, but the odds of just being pulled over and given a citation without some other moving violation are fairly low.

We have the front tag mounted on our M3, and have it sitting in the under-trunk of our model Y.

SnapPlate and QuickBandit are often recommended here. I was considering those, as well as the Slipstream Bracket, when I came across eBay and Aliexpress listings for a product that seems to be similar to the design of the Slipstream Bracket. For example, see here.

I paid $25 back for such a product back in April 2022, and have used it a handful of times in the past year. Seems pretty solid, although I admittedly only use it on those occasions when I visit places where I suspect enforcement of the front license plate may be stricter.

I don't have a front plate on my MS and never had any issues. Just ordered a MYLR, prob won’t mount it either. It does give a reason for cops to stop me though, that and the tints on drivers and front passenger windows (Not very dark).

I live in California and am awaiting delivery of a MYLR. I have seen some cars with a front license plate wrap. Is it preferable to get that as opposed to a SnapPlate? Does a SnapPlate have any significant effect on range because it may affect the aerodynamics of the car?
I think it depends on your need for the front plate. Both are overpriced for what they are. If you want a permanent front plate, go with the plate wrap. If you only want to use it as needed, the snap plate is the way to go.
I have the plate wrap for my Model S. It’s honestly overpriced for a piece of vinyl wrap. My wife needed a front plate though since her work parking garage used the front to access the garage.
I went without a plate on my Y.

Glad I found this thread. I pick up my new MYLR this week. Have been looking at all the Teslas on the road to see how they do the front plate, which by law is required in MO. 90% plus do not have one mounted, And notice quite a few cars that do not. I like the idea of keeping it in the frunk and if I happen to get pulled over, pull that out and try something like explaining that I was waiting for a Tesla service appointment so they could mount it for me. Maybe he'll be nice and just tell me to get it done. I really rather not mount one up there as it looks so clean without it.

Reactions: OlyY
Glad I found this thread. I pick up my new MYLR this week. Have been looking at all the Teslas on the road to see how they do the front plate, which by law is required in MO. 90% plus do not have one mounted, And notice quite a few cars that do not. I like the idea of keeping it in the frunk and if I happen to get pulled over, pull that out and try something like explaining that I was waiting for a Tesla service appointment so they could mount it for me. Maybe he'll be nice and just tell me to get it done. I really rather not mount one up there as it looks so clean without it.
The past few days I paid closer attention to the hundreds of Teslas I’ve seen and even though it’s required in my state, there were easily 95% that had no front plate. I’m going to keep it in glove box with registration and if caught and made to get one I’ll do the vinyl replica and see how that goes. That’s cheaper than the removable plate holders.