Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, here's the deal.... the MX does not come with an installed front license plate mounting bracket. It does come with a bracket, but you have to install it yourself or have the service center install it for you (recommended) because it requires drilling into the front of your new car. When I was at the Tesla service center in San Rafael I counted 30 MS and 4 MX with no front plate and 2 with a front plate. Given that the MX looks much better (all cars actually) without a front plate, is there much of a penalty for not installing it? Will I get a ticket?

My DS today reported he held off installing his front plate in Colorado, and got 3 tickets within a few months. The tickets were given while he was parked. Since he installed, obviously, no issue. Sounds like, at least in Colorado, failure to comply with the plate requirement makes it an easy target for parking/meter officers.

[QUOTE="Will I get a ticket?[/QUOTE]

Front license plate is mandatory in CA. You will get a fix it ticket. As long as you fix it within the time frame and get it signed by a police officer you don't get fined. I have seen some solutions to retract it and show it when need it, I don't know if the LEO will accept that solution. :)

Given that the MX looks much better (all cars actually) without a front plate, is there much of a penalty for not installing it? Will I get a ticket?

Depends on where you park.
We had a cop give a bunch of tickets to S's and a couple of BMWs by just walking up and down the main street and into a parking lot.
Probably made his monthly quota that day. (if he has a quota).

You need to decide if you are above the law because of how pretty the car looks without it and you want to thumb your nose at other people who have nice cars and chose to follow the rules.

Depends on where you park.
We had a cop give a bunch of tickets to S's and a couple of BMWs by just walking up and down the main street and into a parking lot.
Probably made his monthly quota that day. (if he has a quota).

You need to decide if you are above the law because of how pretty the car looks without it and you want to thumb your nose at other people who have nice cars and chose to follow the rules.

Gee, when you put it that way it makes me want to put the front plate on tomorrow :)

• Funny
Reactions: WABarb and Saxena