Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate installation or holder questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TX requires front plates. Our plate was in the truck, in its bag and unmounted. It will probably stay there as long as we can get away with it. It has two-sided tape that you peel and install. No drilling necessary.

Good Luck!

SS

In states that require a front license plate (like NY) will the plate be installed at delivery time or is a front license plate holder supplied?

Does any one know if the front license plate holders available on the Internet for the Model 3 will work on the Model Y?

They provided and installed it with adhesive when we picked up our MY 2 weeks ago in MA. They also provided a high quality chrome surround for the rear plate that says “Tesla” on top and “Model Y” along the bottom.
Online there are various front plate holders that clip to the fins of the air intake grill. But I’ve read that if you or another car bumps it the fins can crack or snap off. So I opted to stick with the standard adhesive type they provided.
Online there are also front holders that screw into the tow hook. But then the plate is offset to the left and my OCD wouldn’t tolerate that

I’m waiting for Ottosteer to release their mount. I like that it uses the OEM bracket.

SnapPlate is another option — I don’t like how it sticks out from the bumper, but they specifically mention it was designed to break away if there’s any pressure, since replacing the SnapPlate is much cheaper than replacing the grill.

in 2018, a friend of mine paid over $100 and I bought the simple one from ebay (below) for our model 3-few months later he bought the simple one from ebay too. This one neatly attached and works perfectly-will work for MY, too.

No-Hole Tesla Model 3 Front License Plate Installation kit | eBay

Does a 3 have an active grille shutter system? I'm not sure. If so, then perhaps this won't negatively impact air flow into the system. If not, then I would think it might impact the why (which has a AGS) and will, at times, require unrestricted air flow. I realize this plate won't completely impede the air flow, but it will reduce it, and the car was not designed with a reduction to that sir flow in mind to work optimally when air is required for cooling...

see starting around 7:50...

SS

Here’s a video of the SnapPlate for the Model Y — I believe the YouTuber is the “guinea pig” for the Model Y version.

I don’t like that it leaves a pretty big gap between the plate and the bumper. I guess it has to be that way so that it doesn’t knock against the bumper and damage the paint.

But it seems to be asking for someone accidentally snagging the edge of the license plate with their pants leg as they walk by and snapping it off. Seems like it shouldn’t happen often, but I’ve done that numerous times walking behind my 4Runner and accidentally having my leg catch the edge of my rubber trailer hitch cover because it sticks out just a little bit.

You're right Marc was our closest Model Y, as our is still on order.

The bumper gap is intentional to allow it to flex without touching the front bumper. When we first designed the Model 3 version we we're going to use the OEM mount with our base and felt tape between that at the bumper. Turns out that just turns into sand paper on your bumper as soon as you get dirt in there.
If your SnapPlate was to get hit or snagged on something, the SnapPlate will break away. This is a feature. Some more rigid metal mounts will transfer all that force to your vehicles grille where they typically have metal tabs or bolts securing it. You'll find many horror stories on the forums where people have damaged their grilles because of this. With SnapPlate all the parts are replaceable. That top mount is sold for just $15 shipped as a replacement part much cheaper than buying a replacement grille from Tesla.

Hope that helps explain the thought process. :)

Here’s a video of the SnapPlate for the Model Y — I believe the YouTuber is the “guinea pig” for the Model Y version.

I don’t like that it leaves a pretty big gap between the plate and the bumper. I guess it has to be that way so that it doesn’t knock against the bumper and damage the paint.

But it seems to be asking for someone accidentally snagging the edge of the license plate with their pants leg as they walk by and snapping it off. Seems like it shouldn’t happen often, but I’ve done that numerous times walking behind my 4Runner and accidentally having my leg catch the edge of my rubber trailer hitch cover because it sticks out just a little bit.

Let me just add my +1 for the SnapPlate. I've been living with it for a couple of weeks now and absolutely love the design. To me it was well worth the money over using the tape that came with the Tesla provided mount, or worst drilling wholes in the front to secure it with bolts. I feel like it's the best compromise for having to have a front plate. Truly an incredible design. Luckily Washington doesn't have front temporary plates, so I didn't have to have it the day I took delivery (as they weren't shipping yet).

• Love
Reactions: Kbra