TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front License Plate: is it too late to ask them not to screw it in?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Argelius, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

Apologies if this has been answered before, but my searches didn't come up with anything.

After doing my final paperwork, and saying it was okay for Tesla to install the Front license plate, I came across this article, which provides some nice non-destructive methods of mounting.

Installing the Tesla Model S Front License Plate - Teslarati.com

Are license plates "factory mounted" at the factory, or do they do that at the local service center prior to pickup.

Just curious if I might be able to intervene....

2. Zextraterrestrial

just double stick 3M or 3m Velcro it on. No damage then
    (don't see that listed there)

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

They will ask you on your delivery docs if you want it on--it's done at the SC so don't worry.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'd call them immediately since your delivery date isn't far away. My recollection is that this was a "near-delivery" (i.e. late) step but that may have changed in the last year (who knows).

5. Argelius

Argelius Member

Thanks -- I already signed my delivery docs (but car isn't due until next Monday).
    Annoying that the two states this car is going to reside (Illinois and California) both require ugly front plates.....

6. tnawara

tnawara Member

You should be fine - just let them know asap and make sure the service center (I assume that's where you're accepting delivery of the car) knows.

BTW - I just installed my front license plate this morning:

ModelS-FrontLicensePlatMount-20131014.jpg

I used the j-bolt method and it seems to have worked well. Now I just have to drive the car with the license plate mounted...

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Even if they have drilled it in fortunately they do it into the plastic nose cone which can be replaced.

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

#8 Gizmotoy, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    Do we know how much a nosecone costs to replace? I'm considering just letting them drill mine so I don't have to worry about it. I've always refused on other cars since they need to drill a painted bumper, but might be OK with it in a $100-200 plastic part that's easily replaceable.

Edit: In case anyone's wondering, it looks like it's probably $350, based on this thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/15266-Spare-nose-cone-arrived-today/page4

9. texex91

texex91 Banned

You may want to mount lower, like pictured above.

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Beyond the slight visual advantage, it looks like there's a lot more potential for damage down there. It would appear to be resting on the painted bumper. If it moves around it could scratch it, or it will rub if the plate vibrates at all at speed. It's hard to tell without a profile, but if it someone taps it parallel parking it could damage the paint. If it's on the nosecone, you just order a new nosecone, no painting required.

I'll most likely either mount it in the safe stock location, or go without.

11. texex91

texex91 Banned

Actually you just put some foam rubber on the back so it doesn't (shows how to do that in the video). Anyway, whatever works best for you.

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Did something really similar with a Civic 8 years or so ago. Even used the same foam from the video. 100k miles later the paint was worn off behind the foam. And that was with a plate that didn't move at all when I pulled on it. I haven't seen one up close, but I'd be concerned about the longevity of that method given it's actually resting on the foam/bumper. The foam will eventually get dirty, and then you've got trouble.

Learning from that experience, my current car has the plate attached with heavy-duty adhesive, but that's because it has to be mounted on the side of the bumper. You can't put it in the middle because the engine needs the airflow for cooling. That seems to have worked pretty well, but it will be a pain to remove eventually.

13. lloyds

lloyds Member

Let your DS know and remind him / her a week prior to taking delivery.

14. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

They do. I've talked to mine twice. You didn't get a scheduled delivery time? Mine was scheduled by the DS.