Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Mount 2022 for Winter/Automatic Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been asked a lot I know, but I'm looking for one that specifically can handle very cold temperatures/snow/rain and be ran through automatic car washes (touch free), or against power washers. Reviews are a bit all over the place for the main suggestions. Still rocking no-plate but since doing street parking here and there, might be for the best. Have the 2022 refresh if that makes a difference.

Reactions: markc2
This has been asked a lot I know, but I'm looking for one that specifically can handle very cold temperatures/snow/rain and be ran through automatic car washes (touch free), or against power washers. Reviews are a bit all over the place for the main suggestions. Still rocking no-plate but since doing street parking here and there, might be for the best. Have the 2022 refresh if that makes a difference.

The one that comes with the car meets that criteria.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX
Does it? It's a simple adhesive and I thought about putting it on but read a thread about it falling off someone's car on the highway and losing their plate.
I read that post too I think, and true or not, it’s just one post. And I don’t think that post provided any evidence or (or even mention) that the adhesive was used on properly cleaned and dried surfaces.

When I went through all the threads I could find on this topic, I couldn’t help but think I saw a pattern, which was that using the adhesive was not considered to even be an option. Kind of strange that a car maker would suggest/supply a front license plate attachment method that was so ridiculously bad. And at the same time, besides that one post you’ve mentioned, nobody actually had anything particularly bad to say about the effectiveness of the adhesive method itself. The main beef, to my recollection, was that it wasn’t easily removable, and I think a lot of drivers were looking for an option where they could put the plate on or take it off quickly as needed.

To me the bottom line is that there are a lot of vendors out there making money off various solutions for Tesla front license plates. I’m assuming a lot of associates of these vendors keep an eye on this site and make sure their associated vendor is being fairly represented. And the one thing all these vendor-associated-folks have in common is they would prefer that you not even consider the adhesive method to be an option. So when they see a thread like this, they often saturate the thread with recommendations for every possible third party option being sold, which does not include the Tesla adhesive method.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
If you want to use the rather ugly stock plate holder, it will stay on quite well if the area where the adhesive tap goes is very very clean first. There are a number of videos showing what it takes to remove it. A heat gun works. You will never have this much heat in the natural world, it will stay on.
Why not get a quick release plate holder, there are a few out there? I actually have a quick release holder on my car, but (age) I can not remember which company made it. oy.
20220411_154839.jpg

I didn’t get one.

Didn’t even know they are supposed to have one. I thought that they should have supplied one. Quite annoying. Where did mine go?

Can I get one somehow? Late 2018 car.
they come with all new cars. If you bought your car new and didnt get one, you should go back to the tesla store you picked up from and get it. Saying that, I doubt that you just bought a 2018 new, so you can check with tesla to see if they will give you one for free, but you may have to buy one.

Note that a lot of people dont like the tesla one because it uses adhesive to affix to the front bumper, which is better than drilling for most, but still "permanent".

I read that post too I think, and true or not, it’s just one post. And I don’t think that post provided any evidence or (or even mention) that the adhesive was used on properly cleaned and dried surfaces.

When I went through all the threads I could find on this topic, I couldn’t help but think I saw a pattern, which was that using the adhesive was not considered to even be an option. Kind of strange that a car maker would suggest/supply a front license plate attachment method that was so ridiculously bad. And at the same time, besides that one post you’ve mentioned, nobody actually had anything particularly bad to say about the effectiveness of the adhesive method itself. The main beef, to my recollection, was that it wasn’t easily removable, and I think a lot of drivers were looking for an option where they could put the plate on or take it off quickly as needed.

To me the bottom line is that there are a lot of vendors out there making money off various solutions for Tesla front license plates. I’m assuming a lot of associates of these vendors keep an eye on this site and make sure their associated vendor is being fairly represented. And the one thing all these vendor-associated-folks have in common is they would prefer that you not even consider the adhesive method to be an option. So when they see a thread like this, they often saturate the thread with recommendations for every possible third party option being sold, which does not include the Tesla adhesive method.
Can the adhesive holder easily be removed later, and all traces of its presence removed? That should be a minimum requirement.

I’ve never, ever heard of a stick-on license plate bracket, until now.
they come with all new cars. If you bought your car new and didnt get one, you should go back to the tesla store you picked up from and get it. Saying that, I doubt that you just bought a 2018 new, so you can check with tesla to see if they will give you one for free, but you may have to buy one.

Note that a lot of people dont like the tesla one because it uses adhesive to affix to the front bumper, which is better than drilling for most, but still "permanent".

We use front plates in Colorado, but I generally don’t run one. Prefer not to, especially if I have to drill any holes in the bumper cover to do so.

The adhesive one sounds better, but I’d prefer to have one that neither sticks on, nor requires holes.

I’ve seen “quick-release” ones advertised. It’s not always clear whether any are “no-drill.”

You can be ticketed for no plate, but it’s not a primary offense. They have to stop you for something else first.

I got stopped in one of my other cars recently. Was given a warning, and he never walked around the car, so he would not have noticed the lack of a plate. Not sure if he could have cited me when he was only giving a warning. Perhaps not.

We are pretty laissez-faire out here about many things.

You don’t bother me, I don’t bother you. Works well (most of the time…).

Can the adhesive holder easily be removed later, and all traces of its presence removed? That should be a minimum requirement.

I’ve never, ever heard of a stick-on license plate bracket, until now.

The adhesive one sounds better, but I’d prefer to have one that neither sticks on, nor requires holes.

I’ve seen “quick-release” ones advertised. It’s not always clear whether any are “no-drill.”

You can be ticketed for no plate, but it’s not a primary offense. They have to stop you for something else first.

I got stopped in one of my other cars recently. Was given a warning, and he never walked around the car, so he would not have noticed the lack of a plate. Not sure if he could have cited me when he was only giving a warning. Perhaps not.

We are pretty laissez-faire out here about many things.

You don’t bother me, I don’t bother you. Works well (most of the time…).
Sorry, messed that formatting up somehow. Noob.

Im not sure why that would be a minimum requirement for the stock license plate holder, since most other front plates provided by manufacturers actually drill holes in the bumper (so are not removable without having a damaged bumper).

If it were an aftermarket part, then sure, I get that being a requirement.

In any case, I would not expect it (the stock front license plate holder) to be "easily removed later, and all traces of its presence removed" unless one is a pro at that type of thing. This is why there is a market for several different aftermarket sellers of brackets that can be easily removed.

I have an aftermarket one on both my 3 and my wifes new Y (different ones). I got the "quickbandit" for my wifes model Y we just picked up, and am very happy with it although I have only had it for a few days, and I dont know if it meats the OPs requirements (cold, snow). It installs in like 5-10 seconds or less.

There are others, but I chose this one and I am happy with it. I have a different one I bought 3.5 years ago for my model 3, and its been on there the entire time with no issues, but I still dont know if it meets this OPs requirements.

OP: What did you end up getting? I am in a same dilemma and can't find much feedback on any of these mounts regarding how well they can survive snow with -30 c weather as well as touch less car washes.

I might have to go with a fully Etsy one (but cheap option) that comes with 2 long stainless steel screws and mounts on the grill.

If anyone has had experience with Snap plate, Bandit, and Ottosteer plate holders in cold, snow, and frequent touch less car washes, please help!

OP: What did you end up getting? I am in a same dilemma and can't find much feedback on any of these mounts regarding how well they can survive snow with -30 c weather as well as touch less car washes.

I might have to go with a fully Etsy one (but cheap option) that comes with 2 long stainless steel screws and mounts on the grill.

If anyone has had experience with Snap plate, Bandit, and Ottosteer plate holders in cold, snow, and frequent touch less car washes, please help!
I went with the one that Tesla gave me as the guy above recommended (3M tape slapping it on). It's worked out really so far in many touchless car washes and road trips. I had Tesla put it on when they did a tire rotation.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin