TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front License Plate Mounting Option: Magneplate

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by TSLA Siempre, Jun 30, 2014.

1. TSLA Siempre

TSLA Siempre Member

I live in a state where a front plate is required and occasionally enforced, especially if you get pulled over for something else or are parking at the airport.

I really don't want to drill holes into my Model S nosecone to put an ugly Illinois license plate on it.

On the TM website forums, I saw this mentioned:

Magneplate

Have any of you had experience with this? I would want the driving option. I wonder if having the license plate that low causes any issue with the air flow into the car which I think is used to help cool the battery? Thoughts or other suggestions?

2. liuping

liuping Active Member

I have the original temporary (non driving) magneplate mount, and recently upgraded to drivable version. I got the upgrade right be for leaving for vacation,so have not installed it yet.

I am very happy with the quality of the mount and instructions were very clear and easy to follow. It's very easy to add or remove the plate.

I upgraded for to the drivable version so I could put the plate on before going to a location know to ticket for missing plates (street parking and airports mostly), since I don't want someone seeing me put it on when I get there.

3. Vexar

Vexar Member

I'm in Minnesota. I pulled off a no-drill option which utilizes the hex vents down low for about $8 in parts from a hardware store. Three bolts and three "well nuts" then some black tubing for aesthetic over the bolts. It's great. I saw a Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY1cGIIGVWo but I used the well nuts instead of hook bolts.