TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front license plate options?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Todd Burch, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

#1 Todd Burch, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    License Plate Mounting

Where I live (Virginia), unfortunately license plates are required to be mounted to the front of the vehicle. Franz never did address the oft-asked front license plate mounting question, but looking at the front end design I only see two potential areas to mount it:
    1. The solid part of the grille, right below the Tesla logo
    2. Centered over the lower air intake.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of any of these options. Ugh. The thought of drilling into the bumper of my new $70k car to mount an ugly white rectangle makes me sick.

After doing a little web research I've found that people generally don't get away with ignoring this law and leaving the front plate off.

I'm not sure how detrimental mounting a plate over part of the air intake would be, but I see it at least as a possibility.

So which of these two mounting locations would you prefer?
    Option 1:
    licensePosition1.jpg

or Option 2:
    licensePosition2.jpg

It's like choosing between crap and crappier...

Edit: I wonder if this mounting bracket on a BMW might work...
    bmwMount.jpg

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'd say the lower position looks better, but as you say it's very dubious that Tesla would want you mounting it in front of the air intake.

The whole thing is pretty annoying, as we're right on the border with Quebec. Thousands of single-plated cars cross the river from Quebec every day...

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Plate looks too small.

Unfortunately.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Option 3. Move to Florida. :wink:

Seriously though, don't some states have a minimum height above the ground for license plates? (I believe it's for the red light camera's?)

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

NY also requires plates to be mounted in the front and rear. Option 2 looks better. Regardless of where the plate is placed, it will take some of the aesthetic beauty away from the front end. I have seen vehicles with the plate inside on the dashboard. Not sure if that is legal or for short term use.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Even if legal (and I have seen that being done by some drivers in California where the front plate is required), not a bright idea; imagine being impaled or beheaded by it in a crash situation!

7. drees

drees Active Member

That's a bracket made by Skene Design - I just bought one for my LEAF (I can only dream of buying a Tesla). Takes a bit of time to make sure it's lined up properly, but it's a very well made bracket and pretty adjustable. Wish it had some fore-aft adjustment (only angle and height are adjustable once the bracket is mounted) and the vertical supports were not quite so visible when looking down from the top. It's design should let you mount a plate on the front of nearly any car with minimal permanent penetrations.

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

vfx: Thanks for the graphic design eye :).

NigelM: I looked through the Virginia motor vehicle regulations. There's no requirement for minimum height that I saw

Here's the regulation:

"§ 46.2-715. Display of license plates.

License plates assigned to a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, tractor truck, trailer, or semitrailer, or to persons licensed as motor vehicle dealers or transporters of unladen vehicles, shall be attached to the front and the rear of the vehicle..."

So it needs to be mounted--can't just be sitting on the dash.

drees: Thanks for the info. Hopefully Tesla will have a recommended mounting option...Or perhaps I can fight to change the law...

9. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I was one of those posting in the design thread over on the Tesla forum for the mounting bracket. I believe most of Europe also require a front license plate. So I really hope Franz design that into the design. Yes I know that might brake up the flow of the design a bit, but if they don't the actual required license plate has to go somewhere and will probably look really really stupid with lots of different DIY mounting brackets :(

Cobos

10. Zorba

Zorba Member

Front license plates are indeed required in Europe. I'm thinking of putting stickers instead of the actual plate (front plate can be duplicate in Belgium). I might get fined but prefer that over putting holes in my new car.

11. roblab

roblab Active Member

#11 roblab, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
    Just playing around. Another version.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2364&d=1313516119.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

I don't know for sure, but I imagine that the dealer may be required to fit the plate before selling you the car. It's also likely that the EU-spec cars will have a slightly modified front end to provide a fixing point for the front plate, just as the space for the rear plate is usually a different shape to allow for the wider plates we have here. Compared to the other differences between building cars for different markets it's a very minor change to have different bumpers.

13. Thumper

Thumper Member

How about displaying the plate behind the smoked plastic nose cone. It looks like there is room for either the american or euro plate.

14. William13

William13 Member

I'm with Thumper.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Need to remove the spaces between the IMG tags and the URL...
    Like this:
    [​IMG]

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I did something a bit like that on my Leaf:
    sample1.jpg
    It is the cover for the charge port...
    sample2.jpg

17. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

In California front plates are required. I was waiting for a friend at a stop light for an hour and counted--20% of cars do not have front plates. I hate 'em and don't put them on any of my 7 cars. I get stopped about every three or four years and tell the cop I had to take it off to have the car towed, and show them the plate in the trunk I plan to put back on. If I can't talk my way out of it I, get a ticket. Then I put the license plate back on, pay the nominal fine, take the plate off again--and repeat the cycle every 3-4 years.

Not perfect, but as least I can drive without the plates on the front!

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Tesla probably can't do that themselves, as it's illegal to cover the plate in Ontario and many other jurisdictions. Mind you, everyone puts on plastic plate protectors anyway.

19. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Mercedes and BMW delivers cars in California without front plates! You have to sign a waiver indicating that you don't want them to do that.

I have posed previously: I have no front plates on any of my cars X ~7 for the last 30 years. One fix it ticket with no fine.

20. MDR

MDR Member

Super slick TEG, did you fab that yourself?!