Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know for sure, but I imagine that the dealer may be required to fit the plate before selling you the car.

Yes but with nice cars they usually (and hopefully) ask you if you want them to mount it. On one car of mine they asked while they started drilling a hole on my brand new bumper. Now it has one offset hole in it. #%$@!

I made a request before my Leaf was delivered to have them NOT drill the holes, but the dealer did it anyways.
Then they had me sign an acknowledgement that I accept the car with the holes drilled.
I guess the alternative would have been to wait another year to get one that hadn't been defaced.
My "clean look" recessed plate is marred by two hole plugs down on the bumper below. :redface:

Thanks. I got some generic plugs from a local auto parts store that look about the same as those.
One benefit of a black car is most accessory parts area already color matched...

I did something a bit like that on my Leaf:
sample1.jpg
You sure that's legal?
V C Section 5201 Positioning of Plates
(f) A covering shall not be used on license plates...

I think what TEG has is a SHIELD over his license plate, that is permitted provided it doesn't block reading of the license plate visually or electronically.

The pictures I posted were of the first mounting experiment. I have since made a rectangular cutout for the plate numbers that is clear, so it is completely readable (although less cool looking) in all sorts of lighting now. So far no tickets or hassles... I think I am OK with it, but we shall see.

See attached for UK registration plate configuration on the Maserati Quattroporte and the Audi A7.

I think the Maserati front end is the closest to the Model S, and I don't think that the plate detracts from it at all.
attachment.php?attachmentid=2382.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=2381.jpg

mas1.jpeg
a7.jpg

Last edited:
I think it does. I think the Audi looks good in regards to the license plate anyway, and the Maserati it looks like it came as a shock for the designer he needs a license plate and spent around 10 mins "designing" that solution. It doesn't ruin the fact that the Maserati is a good looking car, but it sure affect the design, in my eyes anyway.

Cobos

Not to mention that European license plates have (more intelligently, in my opinion) a wider aspect ratio than U.S. license plates--which helps a bit with this sort of thing.

here is a comparison between two (better IMO) shots of the Quattroporte (one Euro and one Canadian)
http://www.autoblog.nl/gallery/0_Reviews/Maserati/Quattroporte_Sport_GT_S/Maserati_Quattroporte_Sport_GT_S_07.jpg
http://www.madwhips.com/upload/images/maserati_quattroporte_sport_gt_opp_cop_car_1.JPG

Woah, what the heck are you all doing in Canada? Cops in a Maserati? Down here we find it wasteful when cops are in Camaros.

Don’t think they are standard issue.
I believe it was a publicity gimmick with the commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police.

edit: more digging reveals that it was part of a fundraiser in the Ferrari Sick Kids Rally in 2008.

Last edited: