Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting idea but not sure how I would survive w/ even less ground clearance.

Curious if any Roadsters have installed this? From the looks of the mechanism it looks very thin and it states that Corvette's can use it (so I'm less concerned about ground clearance). I am concerned about finding and running power and ground though. I'd rather mount a waterproof battery pack (but this would require modification)

For those that have to adhere to front licence plate laws, I think that the vinyl reqroduction idea is a good one. This will allow you to enlarge or shrink it slightly to best be applied to the front, and will not interfere with airflow. If stopped, I would use the argument that the car needs the proper airflow through the front to operate properly. With Vinyl if you have not adhered with the letter of the law at least you have with the spirit and attempted to comply.

Your way of thinking makes me smile :)

You obviously have never owned a car in Europe, let alone Germany. Not only do we have to have front license plates, not only are the sizes and colours exactly defined, but even the material one has to use is specified! Has something to do with reflectiveness as well as anti-forgery laws.

I've always been jealous of many US citizens, who don't have to ruin the look of their cars by adding front licence plates.

Your way of thinking makes me smile :)

You obviously have never owned a car in Europe, let alone Germany. Not only do we have to have front license plates, not only are the sizes and colours exactly defined, but even the material one has to use is specified! Has something to do with reflectiveness as well as anti-forgery laws.

I've always been jealous of many US citizens, who don't have to ruin the look of their cars by adding front licence plates.
Psst, they are even talking about introducing a EU wide license plate, same color and same font!

As I'm used to cars with a front license plate I always find cars without kind of naked, it's just something that's missing.

Do you mean there is some hope of getting rid of these ugly looking yellow plates we have in the Netherlands ? That would be awesome !
Indeed. The white plate the Germans are using was the candidate to become the standard. Anyway, we are going really off-topic here.

The point is, in Europe just stickers are not allowed. So Tesla will have to come up with a bracket for at least the EU cars.

It varies by state. One of the few things the overreaching federal government is leaving to the states. California is law but I haven't had a front license plate on my cars for 11 of 21 years of driving. I was pulled over once and he let me go as I said truthfully I was selling the car and would be transferring title soon. I think he pulled me over because he saw an ominous black Impala SS rolling around Los Gatos. At the time used Impala SS' were cheap enough to get in the hands of the hooligans and he was just looking for an excuse to inspect me.

I didn't have it on my SS for looks. I don't have it on my Volt for aerodynamics. Though now with my KICKG*S license plate I kinda want it on the front of my Volt. Though I am unsure about having it on the model S.

I know it has been talked about here and there on this forum, and if there is already a thread for this, my apologies.

I live in Illinois and although they talked about eliminating front license plates, I am pretty sure it never passed. I have no desire to have a front license plate on the Model S.

I am wondering if Tesla is required to deliver the car with a front plate attached (Its such an attractive front front end, I imagine it will look like crap) or can we request to have it delivered with no front plate attached (no holes drills either). I may risk a couple of tickets if I can delay getting the front license plate put on until I've shown it off and the novelty starts to wear off.

Any thoughts on this, or am I the only one?

Discussed before for sure and I think someone heard someone from Tesla say that they'll have a decent solution ready at production time for folks in states (Tesla's home state of Calif. being one) that require front plates.

That said, I'm probably going to take the risk of a fix-it ticket if the solution from Tesla is shoddy (there'll surely be some less-intrusive aftermarket solution later). Have gotten away with it with our other car (a Mini) for 4 years now.

crzyskl

Illinois requires a front plate ...

But, having said that ... I have not "worn" one for 10 years. But I live in the suburbs.

And just last week I got a ticket in CHICAGO for not having one. $60.

So, as long as you stay in Lake in the Hills, you'll be OK! :)

What S number are you?

BTW, does anyone remember, speaking of things to adorn your car with ... somewhere on this forum, someone had put a link to a chrome badge that said something like "ELECTRIC" but there was some kind of cute logo for the C? Days later, I thought I had it in my browser history but no.

I am wondering if Tesla is required to deliver the car with a front plate attached

When my Roadster was delivered, I signed a waiver saying they didn't have to mount the license plate bracket. That's because I had purchased an aftermarket bracket that mounts to the tow hook point.

That said, you could probably get away without it here in Ottawa, because there are plenty of Quebec drivers roaming the city, and they don't have front plates. But if they noticed they'd ding you for sure - I once got a ticket for a burnt out license plate bulb. It had burned out that very night.

just last week I got a ticket in CHICAGO for not having one. $60.

So, as long as you stay in Lake in the Hills, you'll be OK! :)

What S number are you?

Chicago needs the $$, but i could definitely absorb 3 or 4 $60.00, before I consider it a waste of money.

sp4rk, I am P6398, u?

Have a while to go, but really excited!!

Doug_G - I am hoping they do something like that, totally worth it!

I am probably gonna stop by the Oak brook store this weekend and check to see if they know anything about an opt-out clause or waiver.

MA didn't require front plates many years ago, and so there are still enough cars on the road with only rear plates that you can get away without front ones without automatically triggering a ticket. So, like others, I'm going to play a wait-and-see game on installing front plates.

MA didn't require front plates many years ago, and so there are still enough cars on the road with only rear plates that you can get away without front ones without automatically triggering a ticket. So, like others, I'm going to play a wait-and-see game on installing front plates.

I want the front plate holder with the laser destruct-o-beam integrated into it. No, I'm serious.