Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been mentioned elsewhere but could be worth a repeat: 'NO HOLES' LPB Kit - GoMiniGo-Home of Innovative Products for your car

Seems like the most elegant solution to me, just need to confirm it'll work on the S.

With that I don't have a problem with a front plate, even if it looks better without. I might take it off for long trips though, possible that the aerodynamics will matter when stretching the range, you think?

and stainless doesn't corrode aluminum, in case anyone here doesn't know that.

That's not completely true. Dissimiliar metals with an electrolyte will cause corrosion, and the Aluminum (or Aluminium for the britts) will be the sacrificial metal. Below is a sample of aluminum with Stainless bolts subjected to 1000 hours of salt solution.

untitled3.png

http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/2009/04/corrosion-between-anodized-aluminum-and.html

Last edited:
I was about to post about how I thought that the tow hook will surely be steel because of the tensile strength requirement, but then I found that aluminum has similar tensile strength. So, I'm guessing that the tow hook will be aluminum and we'll need to find aluminum bolts for the front plate.

WA requires the front plate. People told me, "Yeah, but they never enforce it." I was stopped and given a warning, and told "You car is easy to spot." (Very orange Roadster.) In other words, he'd be watching for me. So I had the bracket installed and put the plate on. It's not so bad. Sure, the car looks nicer without. But it's a car, folks! And once the plate is on, the holes don't show. :)

I live in Norway, the country outside the US where the most S-es are ordered. Here the ticket for missing a front (or back) licence plate is roughly $330. And as I'm one who writes out those tickets, I'd like to have my car in proper legal shape :)

That's not completely true. Dissimiliar metals with an electrolyte will cause corrosion, and the Aluminum (or Aluminium for the britts) will be the sacrificial metal. Below is a sample of aluminum with Stainless bolts subjected to 1000 hours of salt solution.

View attachment 6196

http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/2009/04/corrosion-between-anodized-aluminum-and.html

I stand corrected. I live 25 miles from the salt ocean, and people don't salt the roads much here in CA, so I mistakenly thought that 15 years of stainless bolts on aluminum frames were indicative of something. I forgot to salt my solar panels daily.

Or, I should have said, "Your mileage may vary." The average solar installation *that I am aware of* in CA uses stainless bolts on aluminum frames. At least the ones in Napa Valley. But they don't salt the panels much, either.

This was posted on Tesla's forum from someone who went to Westchester this weekend. FWIW

"1. Front License Plate: There will be a slightly modified nose cone with an indent for the license plate. It will look integrated, not something that is screwed onto the car and looks stupid."

Hmm. I guess I would be ok with that. I assume you could buy a regular bumper if you moved to a state that didn't require a front plate. That would be expensive though. I'd rather have a $100 removable front plate holder, even if it sticks out a bit.