Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
I know that many States do not require a front license plate, but California does. I know that many California residents will not run a front license plate on their TM3 and not worry about it. I hope that we can avoid the debate on whether to run a front plate or not in this thread (but that is wishful thinking on my part). I prefer NOT to run a front license plate but I probably will simply because if a cop decides to pull us over for no front plate, it will probably be with my wife driving by herself and I will never hear the end of it! She will be driving the TM3 by herself 80% of the time. Yes, I know that I can get a removable license plate bracket, but that is not worth it to me since it will be in place 80% of the time. No, getting a new wife is NOT an option!

So, Tesla will provide a front plate bracket someplace, at this point nobody knows where, probably someplace on the duck bill. If I am going to run a plate, I would prefer to run it down low in line with the lower air scoop below the duck bill. The question is, how much would that location affect battery cooling or other cooling requirements. Prius Chat had this discussion long ago. It was determined that running the plate in front of the lower air scoop had little if any detriment on battery cooling. That is where I run my front plate on my Prius now with no problems, summer or winter.

Any opinions about attaching the front plate in front of the lower air scoop?

Model3-Spy-The-Tesla-Show_1502.JPG

Thanks for that link. I have seen these used frequently on the street rod scene. I guess when I am pulled over, I quickly hit the remote and say, "sorry officer, I just forgot to deploy my plate when I left home."

But the question remains, will running the plate in front of the lower scoop affect the cooling in any way?

The radiator is probably recessed about a half a foot from the bumper cover. If so, IMO there should be plenty of space for air to go around the plate and have minimal effect on cooling.

Another issue is whether there's any autopilot-related sensor that the license plate might affect in this location.

Reactions: F_T_K
It does not have to be in the middle of the car, does it?
It doesn't have to be on our side of the planet, but YMMV where you are. We do need one fitted both front and rear though. Over here (from our Department of Transport website):
The characters on a number plate must be visible from 20m away at any point within an arc of 45 degrees from the surface of the plate, above or to either side of the vehicle. Plates must also be not more than 1.3m above ground level.

I used this on my first Tesla. It had Air Suspension and that probably saved many times that it would have been torn off being so low. But even with Air Suspension, I still tore two of these Show-N-Go's off my S. I pulled up too close to curbs and when backing out, it hung on concrete.

It comes with rubber coated barrel nuts, that you drill a hole and push up into the hole. When you put the screw in and tighten, the rubber squeezes tighter and holds the bracket on.

I had the manual version. A guy with a Camaro had the electric one. He saw mine and said he was on his third electric version. He said being low, when he splashes mud from a puddle on it, it dries, hardens and then stops working. Cleaning helped but the water and mud gets into the motor too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Ya, how sophisticated do you need to get? Like @igotzzoom I don't have a front license plate after 2 1/2 years. Cops on the freeway don't pull you over for that. Meter maids in a city like San Francisco, will give you a fix it ticket. So it really depends on where you park. When I do park on the street in suburb cities, I do throw the front license plate on the dash. No problem so far.