Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate - reborn...

If you're a Hawaii Tesla Owner, do you depend on

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the significant number of Tesla arrivals and new owners (and upgraded previous owners), I hope that bringing back the issue of how to easily mount and remove the front license plate as the owner sees fit for taste would be appropriate. Like many others prior to and immediately upon arrival of my MX, I scoured the net for plate brackets that would not disfigure my bumper. From DIY self fab brackets, adhesive double sided tape to The Law, I viewed all the YT suggestions and the wide range in cost outlay.

I prefabricated a bracket similar to YourTeslaLife, I frowned at the TeslaXUS method of using long allthread bolts, and DailyTesla still had to drill holes in his bumper underneath the front fascia.

The majority of bracket mounts relied on direct connection to the front vent fins- OK, fine but it seems horizontal or tangential pressure across the plate places undue pressure on the fins with stress fatigue and eventual failure. Even mounting for the most popular product, The Law has this concern (at least for me). It seems I held off forever making a decision, I didn't mount the prefabricated bracket I made...then, I stumbled across TeslaGrin out of Colorado. Chad and his company prefabricated what I thought to be a superior support bracket that translates LESS of the horizontal and vertical forces across the plate from the vent fins and diverts it to the underside of the bumper. Check out the pics I took to illustrate the mounting pressure points. I believe brackets are available for both the S and 3. Made of high quality aluminum, it isn't exactly the cheapest product out there, a bit more expensive than The Law. However, I think it fulfilled my criteria for design and longevity along with the ease of mounting and removal (for club runs!).

So, at least there's yet 1 more option for fellow and future Tesla family members to consider in expediently mounting and removing their front plates!
TeslaGrin (1).jpg

TeslaGrin (3).jpg

TeslaGrin (4).jpg

TeslaGrin (2).jpg

TeslaGrin (5).jpg

TeslaGrin (6).jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Akikiki
I'm probably going to go with this guys solution when I need to have front plate (and just not run with it consistently).
Home made license Bracket under $10

If you only need to show the front plate rarely, that looks like a great cost saving solution!
In Oahu, HI we need show the secured front plate during annual vehicle "safety check" inspections . All other times, I think the majority of the local members here comment that our law enforcement officers don't consider a missing front plate a "worthwhile" stoppable offense unless associated with another infraction.
But let me ask... if a super slick ceramic coating is applied, will the suction cups hold confidently at freeway speeds? o_O

Yes, it holds very well with a super slick ceramic coating. I used it with CQuartz. Left it on for a week to test if before I decided, "that's nuff" and put it in the trunk.

I had the Hide-n-show and tore two off the car at parking lots (first Tesla) before I gave up on a permanent front plate - mounted. Then tried the J-bolts solution, the magnets glued behind the nosecone solution, the Dodge Charger plastic mount upside down and tie-wrapped to the grill and little suction cups on the Tesla classic front plate before I decided 'NUFF. All those worked okay - (not fine, just okay) and they were reliable, but I just didn't like their look on the front.

(I'm going to jinx myself right now when I say this) I've been driving without a front tag here now for five+ years on my second and third Tesla. Never been stopped or challenged by the good PO-LICE here. I behave myself and they don't chase me. I've practiced in front of a mirror with my alibi in for the police. "Officer, dem dam kids must have forgot to stick it back on after they washed the car. -Here, I am sure they put it in the truck. See! Here it is. Lemme, put it on real quick. There you go... We good now, sir?" (It's a lie, I don't even let kids sit in my Tesla, much less wash it).

I used all those solutions temporarily when I needed to go in for safety check. And these days, as you know since you live here, the safety inspection stations use a state safety inspection system that uses an iPad and collects pictures of the car during the safety check, so even our loving service center has to see the front tag mounted on the car. No one says how it has to be mounted, just mounted. So the good techs at our service center don't get picky. After the inspection as I prepare to drive away, the suction plate tag "pops" off and goes in the trunk - not because I don't expect it to hold til I get home, but because I can. I even keep a couple in the truck for friends that need one.

No offense intended chargerfan about the plate mount, it looks nice, reliable, sturdy but I will be okay without it. That's more money for gas (or wax) for my Tesla. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: thetravelingdr
Yes, it holds very well with a super slick ceramic coating. I used it with CQuartz. Left it on for a week to test if before I decided, "that's nuff" and put it in the trunk.

I had the Hide-n-show and tore two off the car at parking lots (first Tesla) before I gave up on a permanent front plate - mounted. Then tried the J-bolts solution, the magnets glued behind the nosecone solution, the Dodge Charger plastic mount upside down and tie-wrapped to the grill and little suction cups on the Tesla classic front plate before I decided 'NUFF. All those worked okay - (not fine, just okay) and they were reliable, but I just didn't like their look on the front.

(I'm going to jinx myself right now when I say this) I've been driving without a front tag here now for five+ years on my second and third Tesla. Never been stopped or challenged by the good PO-LICE here. I behave myself and they don't chase me. I've practiced in front of a mirror with my alibi in for the police. "Officer, dem dam kids must have forgot to stick it back on after they washed the car. -Here, I am sure they put it in the truck. See! Here it is. Lemme, put it on real quick. There you go... We good now, sir?" (It's a lie, I don't even let kids sit in my Tesla, much less wash it).

I used all those solutions temporarily when I needed to go in for safety check. And these days, as you know since you live here, the safety inspection stations use a state safety inspection system that uses an iPad and collects pictures of the car during the safety check, so even our loving service center has to see the front tag mounted on the car. No one says how it has to be mounted, just mounted. So the good techs at our service center don't get picky. After the inspection as I prepare to drive away, the suction plate tag "pops" off and goes in the trunk - not because I don't expect it to hold til I get home, but because I can. I even keep a couple in the truck for friends that need one.

No offense intended chargerfan about the plate mount, it looks nice, reliable, sturdy but I will be okay without it. That's more money for gas (or wax) for my Tesla. :)

Hilarious! No offense taken at all!
I've gone through almost as many girations with various projects with my past ICE vehicles. In retrospect I think because of the fun of the challenge more than anything else!
It's certain, after awhile the plate will find itself in the frunk like yours and I will also be practicing my "dear officer" speech in anticipation of the need... fingers crossed.

Ever hear of duck and cover? Rope-a-dope? Fakey-U-out? Just for the fun of it (cuz, we can). We are just trying to collect that info from local cousins, aunties and uncles to make an argument with the state on some stuff. Its not my poll, maybe I shouldn't say anything.

Chargerfan will be back in a moment.

Bumping this thread because, as you can tell from my profile pic, I just got my new Tesla 3 in and (after a near shipping snafu where Fed Ex tried to deliver plates to my last address and I had to pick it up at Walgreens) finally received my EV plates a few days ago. But I really hate hate the idea of ruining the front with a plate if I don't absolutely need to/can get away with it. I heard the ticket is only $30 anyway, is that true? I may try my luck with the suction cup/keep the plate in the car thing and for safety checks kinda thing. But has anyone had any problems with parking on the street/parking meters (since we get the 2 hours for free thing with EVs) and getting burnt with a ticket for No Front Plate? Is it a fixable offense? I feel like that's where you're more likely to get a ticket instead of while driving on the street.

That being said, when I was in California and just got my used '99 Camry in LA, within 2 months I was driving along Sunset Boulevard (busy tourist Hollywood street) and a random traffic cop pulled me over and give me a fix-it ticket for No Front Plate (I have a feeling the cops do it a lot to pull you over and see if anything else is wrong with your car/you've been drinking/etc). It was supposed to be fix-a-ble, certified by another police officer, and then I was supposed to avoid the fine. Problem is the brainless trafficcop didn't check the fixable offense box on the ticket, and it led to a whole disaster where I fixed the front plate, had another cop verify it was fixed, sent in proof, thought it was paid off/shown as fixable, and then LA California's courts thought I ignored the fine and my $30 ticket ballooned into an $800 fine for missing my court date. I talked them down to a $300 ticket over the phone, which was still $300 more than I should have been liable for. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

So while I want to try to get away with a front plate, I'm sorta scarred from my LA experience. Not sure how to play this. I have like 5 more weeks to decide lol...