Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Socket Wrench Available - For those security screws on the Refresh Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to let owners of the refreshed Model S that have those pesky security screws attaching the front license plate that I created a 3D printed custom socket for removal. Just slip the socket onto the end of 1/4 inch Allen wrench (hex key).

There's two versions. A plastic one for $4 and a stainless steel one for $14. Some have reported that the screws are loosely torqued and perhaps the plastic one will work. I can't vouch for that. The stainless one should handle the screws that are more tightly torqued (as mine were).

Tesla License Plate Socket Adapter by SlippinJimmie on Shapeways

socket tesla.JPG

Just wanted to let owners of the refreshed Model S that have those pesky security screws attaching the front license plate that I created a 3D printed custom socket for removal. Just slip the socket onto the end of 1/4 inch Allen wrench (hex key).

There's two versions. A plastic one for $4 and a stainless steel one for $14. Some have reported that the screws are loosely torqued and perhaps the plastic one will work. I can't vouch for that. The stainless one should handle the screws that are more tightly torqued (as mine were).

View attachment 182634
Got one of each, thanks!

Reactions: James Anders
Nice work. Based on mine, the screws would come out easily with the plastic socket, as long as a little care is taken. Both seems to be torqued the same, suggesting that it might be the norm for all S's. Of course, you never know....

I bought a stainless socket and it worked great. Some people heat the bracket to remove it but I used two plastic paint scrapers for leverage. It takes some force and patience to get it started but almost all of the black adhesive stayed on the bracket. The rest was easy to remove.

View attachment 182634
I bought one of his metal ones a few months back. I've helped a couple of new owners get their front plate off. Its an excellent idea and tool. James helped a lot of folks now and in the future by designing and offering this for sale. I hope everyone that reads here buys one and support him and his idea. Simple solutions like this can make difficult things easy. Someone sticks his neck out and solves a big or small problem for the rest of us, deserves our thanks and support. Let's stick together and support each other. Support James and buy one of his sockets - even if you don't need it today. Please. and thanks.

• Love
Reactions: Reekdog
I saw the 3D printed adaptor. Problem is that it says that it will take almost 3 weeks before leaving the factory! Is there not any quicker way to get one of these? Did anyone already order the adapter and willing to resell it to me and ship quickly? I dont really want to wait 3-4 weeks before taking off this ugly front plate carrier. Or is the time it says on the purchase website just overly pessimistic? I want this plate holder off as soon as possible!