TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front License Plate Socket Wrench Available - For those security screws on the Refresh Model S

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by James Anders, Jun 25, 2016.

1. James Anders

James Anders Member

Just wanted to let owners of the refreshed Model S that have those pesky security screws attaching the front license plate that I created a 3D printed custom socket for removal. Just slip the socket onto the end of 1/4 inch Allen wrench (hex key).

There's two versions. A plastic one for $4 and a stainless steel one for $14. Some have reported that the screws are loosely torqued and perhaps the plastic one will work. I can't vouch for that. The stainless one should handle the screws that are more tightly torqued (as mine were).

Tesla License Plate Socket Adapter by SlippinJimmie on Shapeways

socket tesla.JPG

• Like x 3
  2. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Got one of each, thanks!

• Like x 1
  3. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

Looks good. I'm not planning on removing mine but want the adapters. Nice job!

• Like x 1
  4. EMdoc12

EMdoc12 Member

Thanks. Just purchased a metal one. Though I already have the license plate bracket off I might need to put it back on at some point. This will make it just that much easier.

5. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Nice work. Based on mine, the screws would come out easily with the plastic socket, as long as a little care is taken. Both seems to be torqued the same, suggesting that it might be the norm for all S's. Of course, you never know....

6. James Anders

James Anders Member

Someone wanted a photo of the finished socket. Here's the stainless steel version... IMG_8443.jpg IMG_8444.jpg

• Like x 1
  7. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Ordered one of each they both came today, thanks

8. jlima1

jlima1 New Member

I bought a stainless socket and it worked great. Some people heat the bracket to remove it but I used two plastic paint scrapers for leverage. It takes some force and patience to get it started but almost all of the black adhesive stayed on the bracket. The rest was easy to remove.