Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably the single most annoying thing about the X is the absence of an easy front license plate install. And thieves selling $100+ solutions for $1.20 in parts is also very annoying. Many of these “solutions” like Evannex and ThatGrin use the flimsy plastic grill veins as a mounting point. Once someone or something backs into the plate the grill will snap into pieces! Think I’ll risk the ticket

Reactions: Akikiki
Probably the single most annoying thing about the X is the absence of an easy front license plate install. And thieves selling $100+ solutions for $1.20 in parts is also very annoying. Many of these “solutions” like Evannex and ThatGrin use the flimsy plastic grill veins as a mounting point. Once someone or something backs into the plate the grill will snap into pieces! Think I’ll risk the ticket
I respect your opinion concerning various "solutions" for displaying a front license plate on a Tesla. However, for others who read this post, the claims you make are not accurate. The bracket from ThatGrin does NOT mount directly to the plastic veins as you claim. The unit has two arms that rest firmly against protective pads on the lower (stronger) portion of the front air dam. Furthermore, there are safeguards built in (that you don't see in the photos) that are designed to prevent damage to the grille if someone leans against the bracket or backs into it. The Slipstream Bracket by ThatGrin was specifically designed to PROTECT the grille from damage, not destroy it. The method in which the product attaches is so unique, in fact, the product was awarded a United States utility patent (Pat. No. 10,518,721).

Kudos to those who have taken their valuable time to design and market products that help make our Tesla ownership experience better. No one is holding a gun to your head making you buy any of these products. But, to call any one of these creators/inventors a "thief" is just plain wrong. You clearly have no concept of what it costs to produce a specialized product in relatively low volume, including the hosting expenses, credit card processing fees, overhead, marketing, packaging, labor costs, etc. Most of these products are made right here in the United States and were created to help you keep from damaging the Tesla you paid $80,000.00 plus for. So, if the peace-of-mind isn't worth it to you and you have piles of $100 bills to keep throwing at tickets, then go right ahead.

I respect your opinion concerning various "solutions" for displaying a front license plate on a Tesla. However, for others who read this post, the claims you make are not accurate. The bracket from ThatGrin does NOT mount directly to the plastic veins as you claim...

...Most of these products are made right here in the United States and were created to help you keep from damaging the Tesla you paid $80,000.00 plus for. So, if the peace-of-mind isn't worth it to you and you have piles of $100 bills to keep throwing at tickets, then go right ahead.

I purchased an "Omotor Front License Plate Mount Holder Bracket for Tesla Model 3", which is exactly like the ThatGrin product, for my model 3 and it cost $46. No longer available on Amazon, maybe they infringed on a patent but a much more reasonable price than the $160 ThatGrin is charging.

I disagree that this mounting method presents no risk. It's using metal parts to mount to flimsy plastic veins and it results in a protruding license plate mount.

As an owner of Tesla's I am annoyed that businesses assume we're made of money and charge premiums for accessories comprised of a few metal parts.

I solved my legal problem today for about $4 using a simpler DIY no hole method.

I used double backed ring eye bolts with lock washers on the Tesla X provided bracket. I put felt on all contact surfaces of license plate mount to prevent scratches. Black bungees would be preferable but I purchased what was 'in stock.' One can also use a ziptie for security if/when bungees loosen. Easily removed for cleaning and no risk to grill veins if pressure is applied, like someone backing up into plate. Yes, it's about as ugly as the $46 solution I bought for the model 3 but can be made prettier with a few tweaks in materials. And much easier to install.

Maybe I should patent this solution and charge fellow Tesla owners $100, hmmm....

1.jpg
2.jpg

Definitely a solution. Be aware the felt will still scratch your bumper when dirt gets in there. But for $46 that's what you get.
I purchased an "Omotor Front License Plate Mount Holder Bracket for Tesla Model 3", which is exactly like the ThatGrin product, for my model 3 and it cost $46. No longer available on Amazon, maybe they infringed on a patent but a much more reasonable price than the $160 ThatGrin is charging.

I disagree that this mounting method presents no risk. It's using metal parts to mount to flimsy plastic veins and it results in a protruding license plate mount.

As an owner of Tesla's I am annoyed that businesses assume we're made of money and charge premiums for accessories comprised of a few metal parts.

I solved my legal problem today for about $4 using a simpler DIY no hole method.

I used double backed ring eye bolts with lock washers on the Tesla X provided bracket. I put felt on all contact surfaces of license plate mount to prevent scratches. Black bungees would be preferable but I purchased what was 'in stock.' One can also use a ziptie for security if/when bungees loosen. Easily removed for cleaning and no risk to grill veins if pressure is applied, like someone backing up into plate. Yes, it's about as ugly as the $46 solution I bought for the model 3 but can be made prettier with a few tweaks in materials. And much easier to install.

Maybe I should patent this solution and charge fellow Tesla owners $100, hmmm....

View attachment 516920 View attachment 516921

Reactions: Mtnrunner
Here's a $20 solution. Got the parts on Amazon. Made several for club members. I used this on my refreshed S, but I only use it when I need a tag on the front for safety inspection time. Then it comes off. I have a small tie wrap as a backup on its back going up to my front T. I've left it on for as long as a week without it losing suction and coming off. But not longer than a week, I don't know how it will hold.
Suction Cup Plate.jpg

Reactions: Mtnrunner
In an effort to summarize options, I started this:

For my recently bought Model X, did a <$7 solution.

The Tesla-provided plate is snug fit.

1616982102401.png

1616982187764.png

1616982464499.png

Last edited:
Speaking just for myself, I am not completely comfortable with any of the front license plate option (Front License Plate Options), including the option of no front LP.

I live in California near Sacramento. I was recently at the Tesla-Rocklin Showroom/Service Center/Superchargers, and at the Tesla-Vallejo SC. And I keep my eyes peeled for Tesla cars on the roadways around me. Clearly a lot of otherwise law-abiding people choose not to have a front LP displayed. I may do that, meanwhile keeping a quick-attach front LP mount stored in the car under-trunk. (I suspect that that is the real purpose of many of the commercial quick-attach options. Not to be permanently displayed, but instead to be quickly and conveniently installed if a fix-it-ticket is issued. I also suspect that many front LP tickets may be issued only if prompted by some other problem--e.g., parking infraction; speeding; bulb out; back-talk given to officer; etc.)

Meanwhile I am waiting for my permanent metal license plates so that I can apply for HOV stickers; or not (that is a whole other issue).

Having formerly lived in a state that required a front plate, I found an aestheticly pleasing solution:

Drill the plate mount, but only use the bottom two hole positions for the TOP of the plate.

In other words, mount the plate, but lower to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Also, get a plastic license plate frame and spray paint it to match the color of your car. This reduces the visual impact of the front plate, while still being compliant enough not to get stopped.

I had two Porsches that this worked well for.
Good luck!

That works, and I agree the low position is less visually obtrusive. But mounting it "upside down" like that does block a bit of airflow for the grille underneath. Mounting it "right side up" just blocks a lot of .. bumper .

Interestingly when I purchased my used X recently I discovered a dimple in the actual bumper, right behind the license plate holder (which was in the traditional right side up orientation). Either the previous owner ran into something, or another driver backed into the car, but some serious force was applied at some point. Initially I drove it around for awhile with no license plate or license plate holder whatsoever (honestly the two screw holes were invisible, if that's what has people worried about this whole issue in the first place?) and it actually looked worse because of the previous damage. By leaving the license plate holder where it was, it covered this ding without me having to buy a new bumper.

So to the extent that you expect some sort of low speed contact along the front bumper, which seems to happen to all cars eventually, you might consider a traditionally mounted license plate to be a *positive* thing, cosmetically.

I will agree, however, I drove my previous X for years without front plates, never got a ticket, and never lost a minute of sleep over it. I generally preferred the cleaner look and was willing to take my chances with a possible ticket, much as many companies cynically consider potential fines for deliberate rule-breaking as 'the cost of doing business' ..

Reactions: johnking
For my recently bought Model X, did a <$7 solution.

The Tesla-provided plate is snug fit.

View attachment 648911

View attachment 648912

View attachment 648916
Thank you! I am heading to homedepot while see your post, good info!

Last edited:
These will rust over time and be hard to remove or might even fall off. Stainless steel solution would be much better.

Please see my solution in this post. Since I am in Sacramento, we don't have snow and just rain a bit during winter, so I am not worrying about rust.