TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front License Plate Solutions

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by STxTesla, Aug 2, 2012.

1. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

I read on the Tesla Motors forum that the front license plate mount is not installed at the factory. It seems that if you live in a state that requires a front license plate the delivery technician will drill holes in your car to accommodate the installation of the front license plate mount. Here is the description of how the front license plate holder was installed:

A technician installed the front license plate frame on July 30 at our house. He said he thought the current design was slightly different from the design used at the June 22 delivery event, but still required drilling holes into the front part of the Model S. He was not aware of any design effort at Tesla to create a front license plate holder that did not require drilling holes.

I can't imagine a high dollar car not being finished with a front license plate holder when required. I must say that this irks me a bit.
    I guess that I will go out and buy a broom and dustpan so that I can be ready to sweep up the aluminum shavings off of my driveway.

2. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Front bumper cover and cone are plastic. I am hopeful that we are given the option, as not everybody wants the plate holder, regardless of what the rules are for your state. Most other manufacturers allow you to waive dealer/manufacturer installation.

3. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

Thanks for the clarification on the material that will be drilled. I still hope that they start to install the front license plate holder at the factory for those that must have it by law.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I'm looking into finding something aftermarket that doesn't drill holes. Hope it is possible to find something.

5. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

I just told them to note no front bracket and they agreed. None for me thx!

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Or if holes are drilled from underneath the front bumper lip, where it wouldn't show... That would be okay by me. Oh and it can't hide the "T" logo/emblem either, gotta hang or sit below.

7. green01

green01 S: P22 X: P118

I installed a front license bracket like this on my LEAF from Skene.

Skene Design License Plate Mount

It avoided drilling holes on the front bumper, but does require two under the bumper.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

And a lot of us hope they don't. Ford gave me the option not to damage my vehicle to comply with a stupid law. I'm optimistic Tesla will do the same.

As dsm363 hints, there are often aftermarket ways to comply with the law without damaging the vehicle. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there are none that avoid the aerodynamic losses though. Maybe someday they'll do something like stickers or a simple yearly vanity fee to avoid the ugly front metal entirely.

9. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I would love a legal/acceptable "out" where it would "damage" the car, and therefore we could be exempt from this. But somehow for those of us in states where it's required, I don't think even that will fly. :(

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

For my Ford, the solution involved zip ties through the grille. Simple, elegant, no damage.

11. roblab

roblab Active Member

I refused to put plates on my old MR2 in CA. Got caught. Used a couple of screw heads glued over the holes of the plate for looks, and adhesive velcro on the back of the plate. Officer came out and looked, pulled on it a tiny bit, and approved (by the way, the law here says "attached" to the front). I pulled it off and drove away from the CHP office. No other problems in the last 20 years. And you can hardly see the black velcro tape if you choose to leave it on, definitely not if you pull it off.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Good to know Velcro is strong enough for the general wear and tear involved in such daily use. I might consider it for my S.

Again, another example of why I'm glad they're giving us the option to find our own way to comply with the law rather than damaging our vehicles unconditionally.

13. Velo1

Velo1 Member

14. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

15. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yeah. That's why I didn't consider it for the Roadster. I think for the Model S it might be worth looking into.

17. Velo1

Velo1 Member

18. Velo1

Velo1 Member

19. Velo1

Velo1 Member

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder