Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update on mounting the front plate lower over the grill opening. At the Austin Service center today I asked about issues with blocking airflow when installing a front plate as shown here:

P1300798.jpg

And he said it should not be an issue. The lower grill provides airflow for the cabin climate control and not the battery cooling/heating. He said that the battery's vents are located in the opening to the right and left of the lower grill. Just an FYI as this was the first I had heard this.

Just an update on mounting the front plate lower over the grill opening. At the Austin Service center today I asked about issues with blocking airflow when installing a front plate as shown here:

And he said it should not be an issue. The lower grill provides airflow for the cabin climate control and not the battery cooling/heating. He said that the battery's vents are located in the opening to the right and left of the lower grill. Just an FYI as this was the first I had heard this.

Great info. I got the opposite response from ownership when I first got my car and zip tied my plate in the same place but nice so hear someone from service comment on it. Maybe they will officially support a nondestructive bracket there now.

Sadly, after 11 years with my previous car and no front plate issues, I just got a no front plate ticket in San Francisco (from a "meter maid") after six weeks of Tesla ownership. $114! :scared: $10 if I get it fixed. I think $114 is a bit much, and Wifey has no appreciation for the naked look, so I think I just have to bite the bullet and mount the front. The only consolation is it shows off my "JST AMPS" plate...

- Bill

Sadly, after 11 years with my previous car and no front plate issues, I just got a no front plate ticket in San Francisco (from a "meter maid") after six weeks of Tesla ownership. $114! :scared: $10 if I get it fixed. I think $114 is a bit much, and Wifey has no appreciation for the naked look, so I think I just have to bite the bullet and mount the front. The only consolation is it shows off my "JST AMPS" plate...

- Bill
The other option is to put the plate on temporarily, pay the $10, take the plate off, wait another 11 years for a fine. That is what I have done over the years. I have had 3 tickets =$30 over 40 years driving with no front plate. Less than a dollar a year!

BTW my son's plate on his Model S is close to yours--"2 Amped."

***BUMP*** Resurrecting an old post

About 7 months have past since posting this mod. With the growth of the forum's membership, the post is effectively buried "6 feet under" in newer posts. After demonstrating the mod at the recent OC Tesla meet up, I got asked by a several owners how I did the install and based on their interest thought the thread needed to be bumped. My post is on page 19 #185 No Holes Drilled License Plate Holder Project and I describe how the removable front license holder was done.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife got pulled over in VT for no front plate yesterday. We got a warning with 15 days to fix (I need to look to see if there is a fine if we don't show them we fixed it). I guess we will look at one of these solutions...

Thought I'd post again to see if anyone is working on an aftermarket non-destrutive bracket that places the plate down low. There would be a market for this for someone who knows how to design and build something like this.

The skene can be placed low down and is virtually non-destructive. a couple of minute screw holes in bottom bit of nose cone, almost invisible could probably be filled with black p-tex if you needed.

I placed the Skene down low as well, but didn't drill any holes. Instead, I ziptied the Skene brackets to the waffle grille. You cannot see the zipties since the brackets are located behind the plate. Looks great... very simple and low profile!

I came up with a non-invasive, magnetic mounting solution that allows putting the plate on when you need it for parking and removal when you don't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWdJhTt3HM Read the comments to learn more if interested.

Wow! What a fabulous, creative solution. Where I live, I can get away without a front plate at all --well, I get a ticket on my various cars about once a decade (on my Roadster) but this might work great for my son who drives his Model S in The City (San Francisco) daily. Please PM me if these go into production.