Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014-10-11_111830.jpg

Create 3 spacers from Plastic or PVC tubing. You can easily find it at your local hardware store. You can be few millimeters off on length in picture. since the plate plastic base is flexible.

2014-10-11_111903.jpg

Use a box cutter to create small cuts on the inner edge of the plate base and insert long zip ties (I ended up replacing what you see n the picture - 2 zips combined - to one long one on each hole).

2014-10-11_112913.jpg

Mark the location you intend on looping the zip ties around on the lower grill- I used light small zip ties.

2014-10-11_113517.jpg

From the grill, push the tie through the spacer and back into the center hole on the plate holder.

rsz_2014-10-11_114923.jpg

Tighten as you adjusted the position of the plate and the job is done. The plate base is firmly sitting snug to the lower grill. No hols drilled, maintaining the original configuration of the car. I hope this help!

Last edited:
To preserve the front-end aerodynamics, I wonder if the following
could be made to be "sufficiently legal" in California?

Mold a curved transparent rectangular window to fit a license plate
sized rectangular opening cut into the front center of the nose cone,
and mount the license plate right behind that transparent window.

If done well, it would preserve the aerodynamics, not block any airflow,
and at the same time provide for mounting the plate from inside
the nose cone, perhaps with slots and snaps, so that the plate could
be easily replaced with, or covered by, a black insert, for use at shows.

Making the window very clear, so that from about 30 feet it would
appear that there was no covering over the license plate would be
key to having it accepted, since technically, coverings over the plate
are not permitted in CA.

Using a plastic that would remain clear, would be another issue
to deal with, if this initial mounting methid passed legal scrutiny.

Exactly one year later from this procedure: Front License Plate Solutions - Page 25

I just did it again on my new P85D. Feels super strong. Best solution - clean, easy - Love it!

Thanks for the update. Are you driving at highway speeds with the plate and have had no issues? I am thinking of doing the same, but need it for more than just low-speed local driving (mentioned by teslatap).

Do do you have any more information on the magnets that you used? The original link to Amazon no longer works.

Thanks!

No issues with my Torklift bracket. Super easy to install. Not cheap, but easy.

With as much interstate driving as I do, I hated always looking in my rear view mirror to see if the DPS trooper was turning around.

From what I have seen, it seems that the Torklift bracket is more of a semi-permanent solution that you couldn't easily pop on and off several times per week. Is that true? I liked the magnet solution because I was hoping for something I could put on during the week, but easily pull off on weekends.

From what I have seen, it seems that the Torklift bracket is more of a semi-permanent solution that you couldn't easily pop on and off several times per week. Is that true? I liked the magnet solution because I was hoping for something I could put on during the week, but easily pull off on weekends.
I still ike the No Drill Tesla Model S Front License Plate mount. It's super easy to put the plate on when needed, and removes in seconds. The newer models work fine while driving.

I have the original Torklift "The Law" on my car and that is the effect here... (Semi-permanent). I have yet to pull it off since I bought it. It was a lot longer than advertised to install it.

advice needed (today, or at least soon)

My wife has been driving her P85D in San Francisco since February and just got caught by DPT here in SF.
(We were sure she would be cited at work in Palo Alto, we had to put a plate on her 98 M3 sedan after the PA meter maids got her.)
CA has "fix-it" tickets for vehicle equipment violations - we have 21 days to fix the problem, get it signed off by any sworn officer, send the signed citation and $10 and we are done.
I leave for vacation with my daughter at 06:30 tomorrow, we'll be home Aug 12 - after 22 days.
My wife does not like doing mechanical things. I think this is odd, she is very intelligent and dexterous (this is good as she is a surgeon) but it is what it is.
There is no way she is going to drill holes to install any bracket that I order, nor will she want to follow a long and complicated installation process.
She can go to Tesla and have them put the plate on, but she would rather not have the nose cone drilled.
Is there a "No Drill" bracket that is simple to install?
It just needs to look permanent for the fix-it sign-off, I can fiddle with it when I get home if needed.

Suggestions?
thanks