Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Roadster, we had the option of signing a waiver if we didn't want things drilled (I sure didn't, and yes CA is a front-required state). Then +slcasner came up with an awesome bracket which attaches to the front tow hook.

Surely there must be an engineer or two among the early Model S owners?

Where is the tow hook on the S?

Yes Tesla did make me sign a front plate waiver in California.

I have one of casners plate holders on my roadster. It's a great alternative.

I just took it off for the first time in 3 years. Only recommendation would be make sure all parts are stainlesss steel. Castners hidden bolt was not and was very rusted.

I've asked before and didn't get an answer. I don't know if it even has one. :|

If it does have one, will do this instead - it might affect the aerodynamics a bit but, the plate actually stands out (in a good way):

Got my plates today! Assigned them to wife's Mini for now:

View attachment 6109

View attachment 6110

Also, bit the bullet finally (having run the car for 4 years without front plates) and installed the front plate using this from gominigo - uses the front tow hook without drilling any screws into the bumper:

View attachment 6111

Hope something like this will work for the Model S.

Bonnie posted this over on the Model S Reservation and tally thread of Kimbal Musk and his new Model S. I noticed the front license plate bracket already mounted on the front bumper.

kimbal pic.jpg

Looks ok I guess. Maybe I'll just go with the factory option this time around. Would be nice to know how expensive the part is to replace if you wanted to swap it out later (if you moved to a state without a front plate law).

Hmm.... yeah, I know this is covered elsewhere but... that license plate holder has got to go...

Illinois requires a front plate and they're pretty strict about it. Cars here that have plates on the dashboard will earn a full state violation ticket (not even a fix-it ticket). That car is waiting for its permanent plates, it probably has the yellow temp tag on the rear plate holder.

Illinois requires a front plate and they're pretty strict about it. Cars here that have plates on the dashboard will earn a full state violation ticket (not even a fix-it ticket). That car is waiting for its permanent plates, it probably has the yellow temp tag on the rear plate holder.

I'm definitely buying a motorized plate holder that installs underneath... Will need to check clearance or just budget for the fine...

Oh, I'm not talking about having or not having a front plate. I just think there must be a better (read: less ugly) way to mount it.

Velo1 is right, the plate holder over the nose cone is really unfortunate. I think Tesla ought to offer the electric, retractable plate as an option, with the plate coming out of the grille (for ground clearance) but hovering in front of the grille and not the nosecone (for aesthetics).

Coming out of the grille:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbWSdWcsg_U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hovering in front of the grille and not the nose cone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khzkAgs5GVY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tesla, please?

cattledog

I've had a car here in L.A. without the front plate for almost 8 yrs. In that time I think I've gotten two tickets for it... And that was only because they first ticketed for something else (meters both times if I recall). So, I for one will forgo the front plate entirely and just take the lumps if/when they come.

Picasa Web Albums - Rod Womer - Model S
This looks like it might be attached without drilling holes into the plastic nose. Do we know for certain if they have to drill holes or not?
Perhaps someone who's explored this a bit for the Roadster or another vehicle...

The 3/4 inch or so that the plate holder sticks out at the top -- any idea if it's possible to trim that a bit (like to an 1/8th inch), presumably connecting the plate with zip ties or somesuch rather than screws.