Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picasa Web Albums - Rod Womer - Model S

This looks like it might be attached without drilling holes into the plastic nose. Do we know for certain if they have to drill holes or not?

Yes. Delivery tech drills holes and puts plate holder on. See: Rod and Barbara Tesla Forum AUGUST 1, 2012 post:

Model S Deliveries - latest actual info on dates and vehicles being delivered | Forums | Tesla Motors

"A technician installed the front license plate frame on July 30 at our house. He said he thought the current design was slightly different from the design used at the June 22 delivery event, but still required drilling holes into the front part of the Model S. He was not aware of any design effort at Tesla to create a front license plate holder that did not require drilling holes."

Picture of the above plate on the car:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6Dv9ucCCyzc/UCIBdcqbITI/AAAAAAAAA20/KLpdV9utqnY/s912/DSC03759.JPG

And a lot of us hope they don't. Ford gave me the option not to damage my vehicle to comply with a stupid law. I'm optimistic Tesla will do the same.

They will have to provide a front licence plate holder as standard as soon as they want to sell the S in Europe. To my knowledge there is no country here that doesn't have mandatory front licence plates.

And the authorities here are really strict. No way you could get by even one day driving without a front licence plate anyway. Even if you had an accident that involved the front bumper having been ripped off you still have to afix your front licence plate somewhere - be it behind the windscreen or wherever.

So no drilling holes for us on ye ole continent I guess.

I agree........

Not sure why there is all the fuss.

It's not a Ferrari......!

And even if, it can't avoid the plate ;-)

nummernschild.jpg

By the way, that looks like it is glued on in some way, or using a magnetic system. No screws in sight.

Reread the rest of the posts. Repeatedly my point has been about finding a non-drilling solution, not about avoiding a front plate entirely. I guess I should just repeat it in my sig...

I didn't mean to imply that you did. I just wanted to point out that Tesla needs to provide a solution in form of a standard front licence plate holder anyway, at least for certain markets. And if they can do that for Europe they can surely provide the same solution for all US customers who live in states with such regulations.

Aerodynamics

And a lot of us hope they don't. Ford gave me the option not to damage my vehicle to comply with a stupid law. I'm optimistic Tesla will do the same.

As dsm363 hints, there are often aftermarket ways to comply with the law without damaging the vehicle. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there are none that avoid the aerodynamic losses though. Maybe someday they'll do something like stickers or a simple yearly vanity fee to avoid the ugly front metal entirely.

Ive been wondering about the loss in aerodynamics with the front license plate as well. No one else on this thread mentions this. Anyone know about the losses in drag coefficient and/or aerodynamics with the front plate?

Ive been wondering about the loss in aerodynamics with the front license plate as well. No one else on this thread mentions this. Anyone know about the losses in drag coefficient and/or aerodynamics with the front plate?
The last I heard officially on the subject was here:
Tesla will have a front license plate solution for Model S. Aerodynamic impacts of a front license plate should be minimal.

Since I know your getting your car soon, let me know how well that solution works. If you like it I'll probably go the same way.

Will do. I may go this route, I'm not sure. It does drill two small holes but it's underneath the lip where you can't see it. I e-mailed them and they are going to go to the DC store and measure it but if anyone gets their Model S and wants to send them the measurements, that'd help speed things along.
Skene Design License Plate Mount