Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the Skene design plate bracket. It drills 2 small holes but they are on the underneath side of the plastic nose cone. I measured 2.5" so that's the 'Long' bracket size for them.
If someone who also already has their Model S can confirm that, that'd be great. I've already placed the order though so I'll see how it works.
Skene Design License Plate Mount

Dave, as per this on the delivery update thread, I thought you asked for the factory bracket to be installed by Tesla?

BtW, did you end up deciding to go with the Tesla mounted front license plate or are you still looking at an after market solution?

Will do. Even though it doesn't look good, I broke down and got the factory bracket installed. Why Tesla couldn't sell an alternative as an option was disappointing.

However, your car's pictures from here don't seem to show that it was installed though:

Dave's (dsm363) Signature Performance Model S

Dave, as per this on the delivery update thread, I thought you asked for the factory bracket to be installed by Tesla?

However, your car's pictures from here don't seem to show that it was installed though:

Dave's (dsm363) Signature Performance Model S

I did but it looks like they didn't get around to it. My official paperwork said not to install it and I changed my mind later. I'm glad they didn't get around to it.

I just ordered the Skene design bracket today so maybe will have in later next week.

I've given this way too much thought, but here's my strategy. I live in MA, and in MA you are required to have a front plate (if it's a red/white one) when you get the car INSPECTED. But, after inspection, other than fix-it tickets, you're in good shape. So my plan is mount the license plate using 3M command strips which are totally removable, but strong while attached. Then I'll get the car inspected, get my sticker. Then, my plate will "fall off" and I'll place it in my fronk. If I get pulled over, I'll explain that is JUST fell off because its some new-fangled electric car thing made in CA and they don't understand MA laws. Worst case its a fix-it ticket.

I mounted the factory bracket 1 foot lower than normal. Used 4 zip ties and some of that velcro tap to secure it. Not the most elegant solution but should hold up and doesn't mess up the look of the car too much.

I'll try and take a picture.

I read on the Tesla Motors forum that the front license plate mount is not installed at the factory. It seems that if you live in a state that requires a front license plate the delivery technician will drill holes in your car to accommodate the installation of the front license plate mount. Here is the description of how the front license plate holder was installed:

A technician installed the front license plate frame on July 30 at our house. He said he thought the current design was slightly different from the design used at the June 22 delivery event, but still required drilling holes into the front part of the Model S. He was not aware of any design effort at Tesla to create a front license plate holder that did not require drilling holes.

I can't imagine a high dollar car not being finished with a front license plate holder when required. I must say that this irks me a bit.
I guess that I will go out and buy a broom and dustpan so that I can be ready to sweep up the aluminum shavings off of my driveway.

Try Ferrari, for starters. I avoided putting a front plate on my Ferrari for years. I came up with a velcro setup that I'd use for the Vermont state inspection. Then it would come off when I got home. The police in Vermont generally won't stop you for a missing front plate, especially in a nice car. But if they stopped me for another reason and the plate is missing, I could be in for a $100 fine. In my mind, $100 was a small price to pay for keeping my Ferrari's front bumper pristine. I doubt if you could find a decent car designer who likes front license plates.

I mounted the factory bracket 1 foot lower than normal. Used 4 zip ties and some of that velcro tap to secure it. Not the most elegant solution but should hold up and doesn't mess up the look of the car too much.

I'll try and take a picture.

In CA, 10% of all cars drive with no front plate, although it's law. The law says "affixed", so affixing with velcro tape is legal, just the plate. The factory allows the option of not affixing the plate backer piece, you sign the paper that you know that, and do what you want. I want no plates, and the chances of getting a fix it ticket is slim: One in 20 years. My front has no drilled holes.

Today, 05:20 PM#77

I have not had a single problem with it. I'm in Washington. I have heard that other states are a lot more strict about it, so YMMV.

I have been driving without a front plate for four years and I regularly enter the jurisdictions of multiple different city police forces, county police, and highway state patrol. I have passed and driven next to cops many times who definitely had time to notice both that I had a WA plate in the back and no plate in the front, so they know I'm supposed to have a front plate, and I've never been pulled over for it. This has definitely been ignored by traffic cops. It's not surprising that other kinds of officers might ignore it, but traffic officers are tasked with patrolling for traffic violations and things of that nature and still ignore this.

I know of some small towns and counties in Washington where you would end up being pulled over at the very first opportunity and you'd definitely be cited.

I'd love to see your license plate pictures, especially that skene model.

I've ordered the Skene plate but am thinking about returning it. I like the zip tie version I created. It doesn't ruin the look of the nose cone and still shows plate on front. I'm sure it will fall of while driving at some point though.

_85C3273.jpg

I requested my Model S (#4002) not have the front license plate holder installed, even though it is officially required in California. I made similar choice with my '04 M3, and have not had any issues (front plate has been in the trunk for 8 years).

I requested my Model S (#4002) not have the front license plate holder installed, even though it is officially required in California. I made similar choice with my '04 M3, and have not had any issues (front plate has been in the trunk for 8 years).

How are you doing this? By Phone or email? Or is there some formal request/option?

A front plate is required in Illinois as well, so I think I would want to look into some options like the Skene plate or have someone put together a simple frame that is mounted under the bumper.

How are you doing this? By Phone or email? Or is there some formal request/option?

A front plate is required in Illinois as well, so I think I would want to look into some options like the Skene plate or have someone put together a simple frame that is mounted under the bumper.

Your final paperwork has an option to decline a front bracket.