Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as it pains me, I have mounted the front plate on my Model S. I really love the look without it but driving around with a reason to be pulled over at anytime just does not work for me deep in the heart of Texas ;)

I went the zip tie route and came up with a way to mount the plate that:

1) I can remove the entire assembly in under a minute.
2) Mount the entire assembly in under ten minutes, without having to remove the nosecone or funk peices.
3) Leave no marks on the car.

Instructions:

I started by curling an 11'' zip tie, by making bends every inch or so:

P1300793.jpg

I then fished it though the upper grill, around the bumper section and though the lower grill. It just fit. I then attached another zip tie to the end of the first where it exited the lower grill.

I then feed that zip tie though the the mounting screw hole in Tesla provided plate holder (right side up) and then up over the top of the plate, connecting it to the other end of the original zip tie. I did this on both sides:

P1300789.jpg

After cinching them down, I trimmed the extra ends:

P1300795.jpg

Here is the back side where you can see the zip tie joint:

P1300790.jpg

I then mounted the plate, using the two provided screws on the bottom (they are star screws, FYI). I used zip ties on the upper holes since the screws would have contacted the bumper there. Here is a shot with the plate mounted:

P1300796.jpg

And finally a shot from the side of the whole front:

P1300798.jpg

I live in Austin which has very hot summers so I am concerned with the impact on air flow. As such I am going to keep a close eye on it this summer.

I hope this helps someone else out there...

Last edited:
Most Mercedes also come with no front license plate holders which are dealer installed. Here's an idea. Front plates ruin the aesthetics of the car, forget installing one. If you are stopped, in California this is a fix it ticket I believe with no fine. You might be able to trade a speeding ticket for a no front plate ticket. Worked for me.

@Elshout: other states have stricter rules. For example, MA requires every car to be inspected upon purchase and then annually. You need the front plate attached to pass inspection. Just how durably that plate is attached, well, that's another question. ;-)

Mine passed inspection this morning with the zip-tied front bracket they put on at the Service Center. I was considering removing it afterwards, but kind of like my EV plates - they make a statement. So it stays for now.