Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you posting because you have a license plate wrap? Can you show a photo for reference?
E6E6EA23-3544-4D56-9885-90B37EAE4FA2.jpeg

Hi all - has anyone who has used these removed one from the car? Does it damage the paint at all?

I’m leaning toward this, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking “what if we move out of California and I need to pull the thing off”

281F4803-1DE6-438E-A3DF-4C868A84F9B3.jpeg

457B8C89-BB9F-41F4-9527-ED04C28A1381.jpeg

Update! I got mine - figured I’d try it. So far, I think it’s great. Was pretty simple to
put on, and I took your tips and put it on a sheet of PPF first before putting it on the car, for easier removal. The letter came in the mail a couple days before the plate came, and I just stashed it with my registration. Thanks!!

• Love
Reactions: f308gt4 and focher
to those who wondered how to get it off on the paint..

i had this on my prior car and i applied it directly to the front bumper. how i took it off was i used a pressure washer at the car wash and peeled the "plate" off using the high pressure. it did NOT damage the paint in any way since I ws aiming thr water to the backside/glue.

Here’s a report published by the DMV in 2019.

They say the pilot program was a success, and recommend it be legalized, but I can’t find any evidence of the legislature actually passing a bill related to this.

The person who created the License Plate Wrap company was clever with the name because that website is at the top of search results for such products. It’s quite expensive at $85. Other companies offer similar products for much less, but they advertise for off road used only, so I can’t tell if any of them would be acceptable.

Reactions: f308gt4
To each their own, but count me as someone who doesn’t think $85 is “quite expensive”. No other companies offer “similar products for much less” when that’s the only company authorized to do it in California? It’s not just printing a decal. They have to submit documentation to the DMV and get the authorization letter, so there’s some administrative work that comes with the purchase.

No, I don’t work for them or have any ownership interest or anything other than having been a customer. Just kind of a weird analysis, in my opinion.

i had it on my car i had before i got into teslas. there was a letter you keep in your glove box to show anyone who needs to know the legitimacy of it. i had no such issues when i had it. its the only option that is street legal. when i get my official plates from the dmv im going to get another one.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik and focher
Hi have one on each of my model 3 & Y, also the DMV will send you a letter extending the program. When I first got my first one, it only cost $50.00 the one for the Model Y which was a year later was $80.00. Note that on the Y it gave me Radar problems with Auto Pilot so the plate was a little too high, I had to rip it off and order a new one, I had to send back the old torn plate and the replacement cost $70.00

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and focher
I had to google it lol.......but a quick search shows driving without shoes is legal.
All - recently CHP & LAPD have req'd those cited for anything other than a front plate are requiring you to drive to their HQ and show them that you've mounted the front plate. I have a early 2019 Model 3 LR AWD & have a "License Plate Wrap" (LPW) that is the only CA State approved by both the CA Dept of Motor Vehicles & the CHP. This is an alternate front license plate made of reflective vinyl, replicating the traditional metal plate; check licenseplatewrap.com for more info...sorry, I haven't figured out how to add more photos.
AC06A3AD-C47F-4D33-A0E8-1D92255489AF_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: JeffnReno
All - recently CHP & LAPD have req'd those cited for anything other than a front plate are requiring you to drive to their HQ and show them that you've mounted the front plate. I have a early 2019 Model 3 LR AWD & have a "License Plate Wrap" (LPW) that is the only CA State approved by both the CA Dept of Motor Vehicles & the CHP. This is an alternate front license plate made of reflective vinyl, replicating the traditional metal plate; check licenseplatewrap.com for more info...sorry, I haven't figured out how to add more photos.View attachment 845166
I like how they have "Patented" on their website. I have "prior art" as I've been doing this for many, many years, just took a scan of the plate and had a signage store make me vinyl wrap "sticker". One of the signage stores even started offering this as a turnkey service for other customers after doing one for me.