Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see lots of posts about front license plate brackets. I live in California and took delivery 2 weeks ago. I think the delivery center already put the front license plate on because I have a temporary license plate in a bracket on the front as well as the back. Am I wrong?

The OEM bracket is just a plastic molded piece stuck on with 3M tape. That's what the delivery center would put on your car.

Lots of people don't like that so they get an aftermarket one like the "bandit" that mounts onto the air intake vent below the bumper.

Starting this year, cars sold in California have to have temporary "plates" installed when they leave the lot instead of the temporary registration "sticker" placed on the lower corner of the windshield. To do so, they have to also affix the front license plate mounting bracket. Prior to this year, they just threw the bracket in the trunk and left it up to you to install it and the front license plate. Many people chose not to.

Last edited:
Will the service center leave the front license plate mount off if requested? I don't have front plates on any of my cars and won't have one on the Tesla I'm picking up this week either. I live in California and have never had a problem.

Took delivery last month, mine came without the front bracket installed. So far, every new Tesla (ones with temporary plates) I see on the road here in the Bay Area don’t have them either.

Reactions: idmfc